Just back from my first timed 10 miler, and am buzzing :-)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,875
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all,

just been out for my first timed 10 mile route, can't really class it as a TT route I don't think, as it involved 2 left hand turns, to get back to my starting point...??

It wasn't flat as such, but not too bad, and due to me stopping the garmin at 10 miles, a bit before getting back to my start point, I actually ascended more than I descended.

However I did have a fair amount of gentle downhill sections where I was in top gear rolling along at 25mph - I was in shock somewhat, but didn't want to count my chickens.

Anyway, I went out hoping for anything around 40 minutes, 15mph, but managed to finish it in 33:22, which when I get home to upload the data, tells me it's 18mph average - top speed was 30.1mph, so no mahoosive downhills to distort it too much.

So what do you think, is that a reasonable time, and is it representative as it's not on the flat, or is is flattering (no pun intended) me?

Can't wait to go out on Thursday evening and have another go :D

I await your responses!

Cheers

Dan (rather cheerful)
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    well done, did you pace yourself? if not you can now start to
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • daniel_b
    How do you mean pace yourself?

I didn't really look at the figures on the garmin to be honest, just pushed it fairly hard, but perhaps I gave it a little too mucch early on, as I did feel a bit bleurgh at around 9 miles, but managed to get through that and out the other side.

However I wasn't knackered, so dare say I can give it more next time.

I guess 30min has got to be my target, wonder how long it will tka me to get there....

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    its 3.30 per mile at the moment. you can now start working out your race pace. if you thought you went out too fast and suffered try 3,25 per mile for the first half and se how you feel, you can then crank it up if you feel good to try to maintain and still knock another 50 secs off the time. 50 secs is a massive amount, in consecutive rides and i'm speculating, i just want you to get the idea. level 30 is the target.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • daniel_b
    Ahh I see what you mean now, that' a good tip, thankyou very much :D

It's a little bit more technical than 'pushing as hard as feels right' eh!

I will put that into practice next time I go out.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18