Does a buckled wheel matter...?

gk141054
gk141054 Posts: 175
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Might be a silly question but here goes....

I was wondering today, does a buckled wheel really affect Mountain bikers that much at the speeds we travel....

I don't mean massively buckled here, just slightly...

On a car at 70mph I can understand it would matter, but at 20mph on a bike?!?!

In the old days a buckled wheel would mean that the brake blocks would constantly rub on the rim causing resistance = harder work and slower speed... but with disc brakes does it matter anymore?

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    i would guess that the big issue with a MTB wheel being buckled is the loss in strength and the massive crashes that would could face from a wheel just failing on you over a small drop that a true wheel could easly handle.
    Due to the fact that wheels are not made for lateral forces that are across the spokes that would be generated from a buckle, but i could well be wong
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the wheel is buckled then it will fail.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    My rear wheel was buckled... I thought it would be ok, once it had got buckled, every little lateral force made it a lot worse.

I noticed the rear snaking around on tarmac, and a strange traction noise, so I got it straightened.

And yes, a buckled wheel doesnt make any difference to your disc brakes, as this is from the hub, not the spokes/rim.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Cheers guys,

Took it in this morning to be fixed anyway, but just wanted to raise the matter....

Now rolll on Saturday :D