How hard and what next?

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Just a question about trails and trail centres really....

Since going to Afan for the first time in May i've ridden:
The Wall twice, Penrydd, White's Level, Cwm Carn a few times, the MBR trail and the Tarw trail.
I found Whites Level pretty hard at the time (it was one of the earliest ones i rode), and didnt do the black section. What I want to know is which of these trails do you think is the hardest, so I can see whether I've actually got better or whether i've just ridden the easier ones more recently.......
How hard is the black section on White's? Is it doable or should I carry on missing it out :oops:
And what are your recommendations for where to try next?!
Thanks.....

Comments

• pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    White's is supposed to be the most technical trail at Afan. I found it more technically challenging than The Wall and Penhydd although i loved all of them. I didn't ride the black run either [excuse]because i was with a mate who hasn't ridden as much as me[/excuse] but will have a go at it next time.

From what you're saying you should give the black run a go. Also, if you're finding trails too easy try to ride them faster. Less reaction time makes it a lot more difficult and a lot more fun :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    pittpony wrote:

From what you're saying you should give the black run a go. Also, if you're finding trails too easy try to ride them faster. Less reaction time makes it a lot more difficult and a lot more fun :D

true.......if its too easy, get into your highest gear and stomp on those pedals
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    I wouldnt exactly say it was too easy...! :lol:
    Just wondering which ones other people found the hardest.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I would give the black a go.

in my experience, the black routes at Glentress and even the notorious Innerleithen Traquir XC route can be completed without launching the drops. Most of the features can be rolled, and those which can't (im thinking the 3 drops on the Caddon Bank for those who know them), usually have chicken runs around them, so you can choose your battles.

If it gets scary, slow it down...pick your line and build your confidence on that type of terrain. Concentrate on being smooth and light and prepare to grin from ear to ear when you feel the sense of acheivement of doing something that has upped the ante a bit. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.