Boardman or GT Aggressor?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Ok, so the the people at Halfords head office have told me they can't get the Cube Team Ltd 2008.. so I have narrowed it down to two bikes...

Which is better value for money and would last... going to be used on road and minor beginners trails and jumps at a latter stage.

Thanks guys..

1st bike is Boardman Moutain Comp RRP £649.99
Technical Specification
# Semi compact frame design: 50cm
# 7005 Aluminium, fully double butted frame
# Rock Shox Recon 351 U-turn Fork with 85-130mm travel
# Motion control adjustable rebound damping and lock out
# Semi integrated cartridge bearing headset
# Full carbon spacers 4x5mm 1x10mm
# Ritchey Comp V2 OS 31.8mm Stem
# Ritchey Comp Rizer OS 31.8mm Handlebars
# Ritchey Comp V2 27.2mm Seatpost
# CBoardman MTB Sport Saddle, Cro-Mo rails
# Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, 160mm rotors
# SRAM SX5 9 speed triggers
# SRAM X9 Mid cage Rear Mech
# SRAM X7 Front Mech
# SRAM PG950 11-32T Cassette
# Shimano HG73 Chain
# Truvativ Firex 3.1 44/32/22T Chainset
# Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket
# Ritchey Disc Pro OCR 32H Rims
# Formula disc hubs, super smooth bearings
# Stainless steel double butted spokes
# Continental Vapor 2.1 Tyres
# Alloy platform pedals

Second Bike is GT Agressor XCR RRP £699.99
# GT Triple Triangle Aluminium frame with butted and hydro formed tubing
# Rock Shox Recon 351 U-turn fork with 85?130mm of adjustable travel, Motion Control adjustable damping and lock out
# Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 180/160mm rotors
# Shimano Deore/ XT 27 speed gearing
# Truvativ Firex GXP chainset with GIGA X pipe BB
# Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 tyres
# WTB Speed Disc rims
# SDG Bel Air saddle
# GT oversize bar and stem

Help me my head is melting with the specs and details!

Can you tell I am new to this?

Thanks in advance always people.

GmanUK101

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Get the Boardman.Not worth having full suss for the type of riding you describe,and the Boardman will be lighter and has a better spec.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    The GT isnt a full sus.

I would say the Aggressor as the frame will be a lot better i reckon. Same design which they have used for a long time and is stiffer. You can feel the Boardman flex a little but that could be me :P
  • Anonymous
    heez29 wrote:
    The GT isnt a full sus.

I would say the Aggressor as the frame will be a lot better i reckon. Same design which they have used for a long time and is stiffer. You can feel the Boardman flex a little but that could be me :P

Thanks for that...I am 14st, are you heavier than that? Soz if that's a bit personal but you did say it flexed a little and I dont wanna buy a frame that bends and flexes too much.
  • Anonymous
    Get the Boardman.Not worth having full suss for the type of riding you describe,and the Boardman will be lighter and has a better spec.

The GT Agressor doesn't appear to be full susp, it's a hardtail.

Was your reply based on the Boardman not being full susp? Thanks heaps for any help and your opinions.

Peace

GmanUK101
  • heez29
    GmanUK101 wrote:
    heez29 wrote:
    The GT isnt a full sus.

Thanks for that...I am 14st, are you heavier than that? Soz if that's a bit personal but you did say it flexed a little and I dont wanna buy a frame that bends and flexes too much.

Its a good bit of flex as in feels good but not something that will go kapooy in 2 rides :P. im 15st and it feels alright. I just prefer the frame of the Aggressor and its shimano which im used to but Sram shifting IS more precise!

If you are going for spec they are similar. Sit on them and have a little play. whatever feels better.

Considering the riding, i would say GT.
  • markbsac
    markbsac Posts: 89
    just bought the boardman comp well happy so far...will keep you posted
  • BobbyTrigger
    BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
    ive just bought the GT, my mate the Boardman.

i love my gt, frame feels great.

have to say though, the boardman has a great spec and is ridiculously light!
  • Anonymous
    ive just bought the GT, my mate the Boardman.

i love my gt, frame feels great.

have to say though, the boardman has a great spec and is ridiculously light!

right, you are the perfect person to ask.... I see you are from my neck of the woods...basically I used to hair about Jesmond dene and its that sort of area I will be using the bike for,,, something that will take jumps and be able to ride fast along small tracks.. aka near Paddy Freemans.

sorry if you have nee idea what I was on about, just saw Newcastle upon Tyne and thought.. hey you may know..lol

whats the GT like on roads?

peace

GmanUK101
  • BobbyTrigger
    alright mate - totally know what you mean - i live in Heaton :)

jesmond dene/park/small tracks etc all mint - ive been taking mine up Chopwell woods near rowlands gill - purpose built MB tracks there - fantastic stuff as there's a mint black run (and tonnes of jumps).

basically its a great all rounder mate - riding position feels really good.

its great on the roads too as i use mine occaisionally over the old horse to ride to work (centre of town)

as i say, my mates just got the boardman too - now i prefer the look of the gt frame, but the boardman is mega light.

all depends what you want it for really i guess.

well chuffed with my GT though, it certainly takes some punishment!
  • Anonymous

jesmond dene/park/small tracks etc all mint - ive been taking mine up Chopwell woods near rowlands gill - purpose built MB tracks there - fantastic stuff as there's a mint black run (and tonnes of jumps).

its great on the roads too as i use mine occaisionally over the old horse to ride to work (centre of town)

as i say, my mates just got the boardman too - now i prefer the look of the gt frame, but the boardman is mega light.

Cheers man, that's perfect....probably will go for the GT now for the frame and add to the parts if I need to at a later date.

GmanUK101
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I got the bordman up from the one that you listed. I come in at just over 12st and i cant say that i have noticed any flex and i think that they use the same frame.

Both bikes get great reviews from people riding them, hope you like what ever you go for.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Ive heard nothing but good things about the Boardman bikes !!
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Go for the Boardman!

I have had one for 5 months and still loving it. I also looked at some GT's when i was bike hunting but found them too heavy.

I use it mainly for xc stuff but do hit some small dh stuff and hit small jumps and drop offs where possible. I weigh 13.2st and never noticed any flex in the frame - i was a bit heavier but all the riding has seen the flab just drop off...so dont worry about weight problems, as soon as you start pedaling the weight will just fall off.

Best thing to do though is go into your local Halfords and ride them both, you will have to pay before you ride, but you get a refund as soon as you return it. I went in and rode a couple of bikes and selected the Boardman, it a very comfy setup, all i did was raise the seat and adjust it a bit back and the position is excellent.

Another bonus is its £50 less than the GT so you can treat yourself to a decent pair of clipless pedals/ helmet/ padded shorts /night in the pub

I really dont think you will regret the Boardman though, check out all the reviews if you are still unsure...
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    GT better for harder riding.
  • i was in the same situation as you, boardman or XCR, about 4 weeks ago.

I eventually went for the XCR and have never looked back. I absoloutly love the bike, very strong, and its light enough for me. I took it down the North Face Trail in Grizedale a few weeks ago and it was superb.

Ben
  • heez29
    I got the bordman up from the one that you listed. I come in at just over 12st and i cant say that i have noticed any flex and i think that they use the same frame.

Both bikes get great reviews from people riding them, hope you like what ever you go for.

Frames are different. double butted comp, triple butted team.
  • Anonymous
    BenS999 wrote:
    Go for the Boardman!

I have had one for 5 months and still loving it. I also looked at some GT's when i was bike hunting but found them too heavy.

I use it mainly for xc stuff but do hit some small dh stuff and hit small jumps and drop offs where possible. I weigh 13.2st and never noticed any flex in the frame - i was a bit heavier but all the riding has seen the flab just drop off...so dont worry about weight problems, as soon as you start pedaling the weight will just fall off.

Best thing to do though is go into your local Halfords and ride them both, you will have to pay before you ride, but you get a refund as soon as you return it. I went in and rode a couple of bikes and selected the Boardman, it a very comfy setup, all i did was raise the seat and adjust it a bit back and the position is excellent.

Another bonus is its £50 less than the GT so you can treat yourself to a decent pair of clipless pedals/ helmet/ padded shorts /night in the pub

I really dont think you will regret the Boardman though, check out all the reviews if you are still unsure...

I must admit I was going for the GT,,,,b b b b buuuut, on reading this I looked into what you said and have gone for the Boardman ...pick it up this wednesday....hopefully a good introduction into MTBs...!

Cheers for taking the time to comment.

GmanUK101
  • Anonymous

Alright, just though I'd let you know that i've gone for the Boardman,, it just felt better to be honest...cheers for all your help and feedback on this thread.

all the best mate.

G
  • BobbyTrigger
    dont think you'll be dissapointed mate, one of the lads got one last month and its mint.

enjoy!
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    I got one after moving on from a 2001 Kona FS, climbs like a dream so efficient and fast and just as quick on the downs as my old fs. You wont be disappointed, make sure all the gears, brakes etc work well when you pick it up though.