Hill Steepness Rating

wolf1728
wolf1728 Posts: 8
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
There was a thread discussing steepness of grade, gradient, etc here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12552936

It also mentioned that my website had a slope calculator but it is better for algebra than for road grades. However, that led me to work on a calculator for computing road grades, angles, gradients, etc and it is located here:
www.1728.com/gradient.htm

Basically my question is if the tangent function is used to calculate grade angle, etc, does the sine function have its own particular uses? I mention this because Wikipedia thought it worth mentioning both methods when they discussed road gradient.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_%28slope%29

Scroll down to the table that shows Degrees Tangent and sine and you'll see what I mean.

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Sine would come in handy if you've just measured the hypotenuse of a slope using the bike computer & you know the altitude difference from an altimeter...

On really steep slopes, you have to take this into account. :wink:
  • wolf1728
    Any suggestions for websites or links that describe road grades and their difficulty when cycling?
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • wolf1728
    Actually, I was thinking in more general terms rather than specific locations.

For example:
    1% - easy climb
    2% - Difficult after 1 hour
    10% - almost everyone has to get off and walk.

That sort of thing.
    Any websites like that?
  • well it's both length as well as steepness. however in my opinion 20%+ means you are going 3.5-4mph and a bump in the road is to be avoided because of the extra effort required and would be walking for anyone who is not a committed cyclist.. anything over 10% is steep, 5-10% requires a bit of a push. 1-4% just annoying because it's not hard but is slowing you up .
  • actually forgot to add that it is very hard to determine precisely gradients as they are varying on an ascent ( very few hills are of constant gradient throughout) it depends on your measuring points: 1 in 7 over a 1/2 mile can conceal a 1 in 4, and your 1 in 7 over 1/2 mile could be 1 in 13 over a mile
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    1-4% = false flat
    5-8% = steady drag - generally a seated climb / steady rhythm
    9-12% = steady climb - might have to think about getting out the saddle
    13-16% = getting steep
    17-20% = steep - gear choice getting critical, care to prevent wheelspin in the wet
    21%+ = very steep - good technique essential
    30%+ = ridiculously steep - just getting up is the aim!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    actually forgot to add that it is very hard to determine precisely gradients as they are varying on an ascent ( very few hills are of constant gradient throughout) it depends on your measuring points: 1 in 7 over a 1/2 mile can conceal a 1 in 4, and your 1 in 7 over 1/2 mile could be 1 in 13 over a mile

quite, the hill nr my folks place is 20% but takes a while to get going and thus peaks at around 35%
  • wolf1728
    Well, I finished the calculator and the text. (Yes, I researched grade, gradient, slope, angle, tangent, sine, pitch of a roof and so on).
    Anyway, it is located here: http://www.1728.com/gradient.htm
    and I think it should be suitable for just about anybody.
    Slope can be expressed as a ratio, an angle or a grade. If you know 1 of these, the calculator will compute the other two.
    Thanks to everybody for the help. :)
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    quite, the hill nr my folks place is 20% but takes a while to get going and thus peaks at around 35%

Which hill is this then? At 35% surely it must be quite well known?

KEITH
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Monty Dog wrote:
    1-4% = false flat
    9-12% = steady climb - might have to think about getting out the saddle
    13-16% = getting steep
    17-20% = steep - gear choice getting critical, care to prevent wheelspin in the wet
    I think this is more accurate for me:
    1-4% = false flat
    5-8% = Ventoux - secretly hope for a p*ncture so death can be avoided
    9-12% = Marmotte - going so slowly that a clipless fall is almost inevitable within the first 5 minutes
    13-16% = Only achievable by car
    17-20% = Only achievable by cablecar
    21%+ = Only achievable by helicopter
    30%+ = Sheer face, sheer impossibility
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For me:

1-4% = false flat
    9-12% = Out of the saddle, try and keep a rythm, proberbly going about 10mph
    13-16% = getting steep

So pretty similar, hardly any changed to one of the guy above, I managed to get up a 33% climb, the speeds on that was about 1.5-4mph as it was like 20% then a short bit at 33% but was amazingly hard.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    parky53 wrote:

KEITH

why? it's just a steep hill, which in a gorge is well to be expected, there are a number of hills that peak at the around the same ie just getting up is the aim, and thats with MTB low ratios...

Clydach Gorge is the place.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    parky53 wrote:

KEITH

why? it's just a steep hill, which in a gorge is well to be expected, there are a number of hills that peak at the around the same ie just getting up is the aim, and thats with MTB low ratios...

Clydach Gorge is the place.

Is it a 35% hill on road? If so then it proberbly should be names, anything that steep is named.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey there,

Here is the point of view from a student with far too much spare time...

1-4% = False Flat. No point in spending too much energy trying to counteract it
    5-8% = Steady Gradient Might consider dropping down from the big ring. If I'm into a headwind, I'd also start muttering under my breath
    9-12% = A worthwhile hill. Yes, this is more like it. Drop down a few gears and try to get a good cadence going. Get into a mental zone. Unzip the jersey and try to look cool for passing cars.
    13-16% = Picking up now. Just keep the rythmn going. If into a headwind, I'd be swearing. Just some blasphemy for now. Might consider standing, but not likely.
    17-20% = Getting tough. Usually a short climb for this gradient. Just stand and suffer through it. Not enough spare breath for swearing now.
    21-25% = Brutal. I will get up it, just not very fast. Rythmn and mental zones are right out the window by this point.
    25% + = Where? I hope nobody is watching. Swear generously. Usually a string of slurs in several languages and possibly some words that never previously existed.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I have worked some more on my website page and have drawn a rather interesting chart (or graph). It has various road grades, ratios and 5, 10 15 and 20 degree angles are drawn.
    www.1728.com/gradient.htm

Why didn't I show road grades steeper than 20 degrees? There is no road anywhere in the world that has a slope of 20 degrees or greater. I guess it's pretty much agreed that Baldwin Street in New Zealand holds the record for steepness which still falls a bit shy of 20 degrees. It's funny to think of road grades in terms of degrees isn't it? Climbing a tough hill you might be thinking "wow this must be a 40 degree tilt" but chances are it is more like 10 degrees (if that).
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Isn't Baldwin over 20° at the upper section?

There are even parts of Monroy St here in Tenerife which are greater than 20°. Get out your protractor!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    calle-monroy-street-la-corujera-tenerife.jpg

There's an interesting blog post written below. Many other steep streets have been added and there are ones mentioned in poorer countries that are not well documented.
    http://deputy-dog.com/2007/09/18/the-st ... the-world/
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's an interesting blog post written below. Many other steep streets have been added and there are ones mentioned in poorer countries that are not well documented.
    http://deputy-dog.com/2007/09/18/the-st ... the-world/
    Great link, that!
    I thought this was pretty impressive: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Co ... ainID=3597
    apparently 45 % (what degree angle would that be?), and that on a 7.5K/ 17% average climb.....
  • A 45% grade would be an angle of 24.228 degrees.
    (Just visit my site and use the calculator).
  • I'm sure that gradient is tangent alpha where tangent is equal to vertical / horizontal
    Viva Cycling forever !
    Train Hard, Rest harder

Thanks,
    Regards
    http://www.rickoshop.com/
  • Bianchi77
    What do you mean by tangent alpha?
    You mentioned that it would be equal to vertical / horizontal but isn't that what tangent is anyway? (tangent = opposite / adjacent)