Rear Skewer size problem on Bianchi

loz*
loz* Posts: 25
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, just got a set of Hope Steel Rod Quick Release Skewers for my Bianchi Via Nirone. Front skewer on no problem, but the rear one won't go all the way through. Has anyone else encountered this on a Bianchi ? I noticed that the skewer i removed was 14mm while the Hope one was 15mm. Odd huh? I didn't realise they would vary

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, just checked some spare shimano rear QRs from my road bike and with the lever in the closed position the total length of the rod rod is approx 158mm. If it was any shorter it would not allow the end nut to screw on far enough to be secure.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    loz*
    Are you talking about the diameter of the pad that pushes up against the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • loz*
    hi, the problem is the diameter of the Hope skewer - it's slightly larger than the original one. Seems odd to me that they're not a standard size... i thought someone else may have encountered this or may offer some insight as to why some skewers are different diameters
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what part of the skewer?

voir_QRSTN_image__tgrandeimage_1.html

i guess, again, the clamping pad?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • loz*
    the skewer's diameter doesn't vary , it's the same size all the way along. The skewer fits initially, it seems to get stuck when it gets to the cassette. I'll take a photo later
  • loz*
    i've solved the problem by throwing the new Hope skewer in the bin.

Can anyone suggest a rear skewer that is 14mm in diameter?