helmets

bryan71
bryan71 Posts: 89
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I have just spent a a fair packet in Hewitts the only thing i havn't purchased is a helmet.Unsure wether i need one and if they are comfortable to wear.Some body advised me that i may get stoped by the boys in blue for not wearing one?.

Comments

• Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    There is no legal requirement to wear one and the debate about whether to or not is an interesesting one. Personally I would rather wear a helmet than risk brain damage as the ground can be awful hard without one. If a fall can split a helmet in half, think what it might do to your head. Still the choice is yours and I am not in favour of it being legal to wear one.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    It's your choice. They're compulsory in a few places like New Zealand but not here.

A helmet that fits isn't uncomfortable although it may be hot on a very long climb. I tend to take mine off on major continental ascents like, say, the Ventoux. You don't really need one when you're riding but they're useful if you suddenly find yourself not riding. Trouble is they're not that quick to put on :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Well, the 8 quid tesco value helmet seems to work fine for me and hasn't stopped me from getting a 25mph average (making an example here, don't worry...) in a TT, so I can say that helmets are generally comfy and don't seem to have too much effect on performance