Left Or Right?

Scorpion
Scorpion Posts: 30
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Just been out for the third time and have to ask is there a correct side of an off road track to ride on? I tend to stick to the left as I would when driving or cycling on the road. I have noticed a few people ride on the right and others tend to wander about.

I ride where there are walkers as it is a multi purpose trail and most of them are very considerate regarding sensible cyclists. I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression by looking like an ignoramus and wandering from side to side so is it left or right?

A very enjoyable ride today as the weather was beautiful, I'm more tired than I was yesterday and was happy to do just 9 miles today. Still, I'm building up gradually.
'Tis Better To Sting Than To Be Stung!

Comments

• beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I would generally stick to the left, as you say like on the road. There isn't any hard & fast rule though, I would pick a side & try to stick to it so others are confident in where you are going. Weaving in and out I'd say is a no-no, I hate that when cyclists coming in the opposite direction do that to me, you never know where they are going :?
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i always Try for the left.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I try to stick to the left but you'll always find that anyone approaching you will automatically drift to the same side as you. Then just to compound it, they'll decide to swap sides just at the exact same pico-second that you do... :roll:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    DAVE_HILL wrote:
    I try to stick to the left but you'll always find that anyone approaching you will automatically drift to the same side as you. Then just to compound it, they'll decide to swap sides just at the exact same pico-second that you do...
    I second that Dave. It's as if all walkers are carrying huge bike-magnets in their pockets :roll:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    impished wrote:
    DAVE_HILL wrote:
    I try to stick to the left but you'll always find that anyone approaching you will automatically drift to the same side as you. Then just to compound it, they'll decide to swap sides just at the exact same pico-second that you do...
    I second that Dave. It's as if all walkers are carrying huge bike-magnets in their pockets :roll:

thirded..... my gran used to call this behaviour 'twa wally dugs'...

i suppose because dogs seem to do it when walking past each other......folks on the street do it too!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.