who have you met

124»

Comments

• Mr Goo wrote:
    I used to play quite a lot of Golf in my younger days and met quite a few of the old guard, Sandy Lyle, Greg Norman, Ian Woosnam, Nick Faldo etc.

Caddied for a mate in the World Matchplay pro-am at Wentworth many years back, for a team put up by Barclays Bank. The accompanying pro was Craig 'The Walrus' Stadler. My mate who played off 3 had to tee off on the 1st in front of a crowd of hundreds, and confided in me after his tee shot that he was bricking himself and could hardly hold the club let alone swing it. Last to tee off was Stadler who had been rushed in by taxi from the 'Redeye' at Heathrow. No practice session before hand, he looked pretty cr4p actually. He slashed at the ball with a driver, the ball went near verticle and landed about 150 yards up the fairway!! Hilarious, though the crown politely applauded.
    Ah, the old pitching wood. Always handy to have one in the bag! To be fair to your mate, in that situation I'd just be happy to make contact.
  • Passed Cancellara on the Grimsel Pass in 2010 :) He was being paced by a team car, going up the pass, I was going down the pass at the time :lol:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Passed Cancellara on the Grimsel Pass in 2010 :) He was being paced by a team car, going up the pass, I was going down the pass at the time :lol:

And your speeds were about the same? :wink:
  • I met Stephen Roche after the finish of the San Remo time trial, of the 1987 Giro. You could wander around all the team cars at the finish at that time, no security at all. He gave me an autograph. Made a 13 year old kid really happy!

Around the same time I met Francesco Moser at either the British or World track champs at the Saffron Lane velodrome in Leicester. He was a bloody giant! Met Tony Doyle then too, very friendly. Is that track still there?
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Met Nicole Cooke on Sunday watching the mens road race on the bemelen berg in a nice GB tracksuit, she was really nice and posed for a great photo with my 8 year old daughter who has since memorised her palmares and has been on youtube every night since watching her wins. A brilliant role model!
  • My prize possession is a poster of British Cycling stars, signed by David Duffield, Hugh Porter, Phil Liggett and Bradley Wiggins that I got at the finish of the Tour of Britain in Sheffield in 2004

Phil Leggup - cycling star ? Give me a break...................yes he has his head up Pharmstrongs ar*e............but other than that he's a prize muppet.................
  • Basso (ok ex-doper I know) this year on Mt Tiede. His siogeur offered me some food out the back of the team van..........also Andrei Grivko a few days earlier who was having a coffee outside the cafe in Vilalflor...........passed by Wiggo and Team Sky going up Mt Teide...........

Passed by Seb Lang last year going up Mt Teide.........

My missus had her photo taken with DM outside the Saunier Duval team bus at the Borg-en-Bresse stage finish in 2007 (or was it 2006 ? ok yes I know ex-doper..........bit of trend here............)

My 3 month old son had his photo taken with Super G at the TDF start at Chmabery in 2010 (photo was in Cycling Weakly)............

And I met my Garmin mechanic mate at the hospital Costa early Mon neet just gone...............

Thankfully I haven't met Phat Mctwat or Hienz Verbungen.........if I had I'd have puched their ****** lights out !
  • Around the same time I met Francesco Moser at either the British or World track champs at the Saffron Lane velodrome in Leicester. He was a bloody giant! Met Tony Doyle then too, very friendly. Is that track still there?

No. I used to play football on the astro pitch in the centre of it about 15 years ago - before I took up cycling - I don't know that it was even in use then but pretty certain it's been knocked down a few years back - moved away about 10 years ago though so bit uncertain on exactly when.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Overtook Sean Yates descending the Malhao after the Richie Porte win stage in this years Tour of the Algarve he was taking Richie Porte's bike back to the team bus (not a perfect fit) :!: Sean was having a natter with Eddie Bos at the time.

Pic of Richie way out in front of the rest on his way to the finish line and Yellow Jumper, Oh and my ride buddy met Eddie and Richie at Faro Airport on his way home, they were eating Burgers at the time :shock:
    535313_10150833677629524_1502690553_n.jpg
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Pantani's dad.
    Not sure if this counts - John Richardson of the Rubettes. :?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I met Roy Hodgson in Venice in Sep/Oct 1998. I was inter-railing with friends in my year off before going to uni. Any students of gazetta football italia in the early/mid 90's knew Hodgson's afinity with Internazionale, so when they were looking for a new manager at the time and Hodgson had been strongly linked, AND was only 100km or so away in northern italy no less, we put two and two together and approach him as he came out of a bookies.

If I had my time again I might have been more eloquent than calling out "alright Roy", and I might have got a more expansive reply than "alwight boys"
  • My mum got me a Cannon and Ball signed promo pic, does that count?

Rock on Tommy!
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Oh I forget the best , the girl herself, Miss Trisha Yearwood (and then husband Robert Reynolds of the Mavericks)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Stu 'crush a grape' Francis when he was presenting a kids programme my dad worked on back in the day?

For some absurd reason i was star struck at the time!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I knew Matt Lucas and Derren Brown quite well at University. Neither were much good at cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I met Evgeni Berzen..he was a midget....he attacked from the beginning of the stage and rode so fast he eliminated several riders in a 10 mile type distance TT on a split stage day. I lost about 45 minutes to him over 600 miles.. How he then went onto to win the Giro inside 2 years still leaves me wondering what he was on and when..I'd love to meet him again and ask.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I had a 20 minute chat with Tyler Hamilton at a remote snack shack at the top of Lefthand Canyon near Boulder, CO, July 2006.

Earlier he had ridden past me, only for me to spot him (I actually had no idea it was him) at the bottom of the 15 mile climb. I rode hard, caught and dropped him; I was well in the red zone by now. A minute later, as he effortlessly cruised past on the 7% incline, he looked at me and said 'How's it going then', I couldn't speak. Soon I reached a old mountain biker in a straw hat and flip flops who offered encouragement: 'Boy, you can catch me but you won't catch Tyler'. The cent dropped, I had been 'racing' TH.

Knackered, I arrived at the shack and spotted his TH Foundation Parlee outside and him drinking a Coke alone at a bench. He was friendly and down to earth. I had no idea if he knew it was me who had tried to drop him and, since he asked all the questions, I wasn't going to ask.
  • Caught a female Katusha cyclist riding in the tunnel behind the team car north-east of Livigno (2 Sept 2011). Doing 25-30mph behind her, I thought "pictures or it didn't happen" so out came the phone...

Photo217smaller.jpg

If anyone knows who she is, then even better! :)
  • Caught a female Katusha cyclist riding in the tunnel behind the team car north-east of Livigno (2 Sept 2011).

Reminds me of when I "met" the AA Sports drinks team. Rode behind them for a few km! :wink:

3245142072_d36dc703fb.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Caught a female Katusha cyclist riding in the tunnel behind the team car north-east of Livigno (2 Sept 2011).

Reminds me of when I "met" the AA Sports drinks team. Rode behind them for a few km! :wink:

3245142072_d36dc703fb.jpg

I hope that was before the injunction or you may have just incriminated yourself!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Algarve in February, not the best photo but I was hanging on for grim death. Jurgen Roelants on the front in the Belgium Nats Jersey.
    6009_116665074523_5331879_n.jpg :oops: