Upgrade or Sell?

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I have a Giant XTC 4.5 with a Dart2 fork, it's less than a year old and cost £399.

I can't decide whether to upgrade the fork to a Reba SL for £199, giving me a fairly well specced bike with the excellent XTC frame OR to wait until my employer goes on cyclescheme and get a whole new bike.

I reckon a hardtail with the same spec (ie the XTC frame and Reba forks) would be around the £800 mark.

Comments

• Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    The frame on your XTC may be heavier than the one on higher models in the Giant range. I'm not saying it is, but many manufacturers do that with their ranges.

Can you wait until your employer gets on the C2W? Can you afford to sign up for £1k worth?

If so, that might be the most sensible option.
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    I have a Giant XTC 850, i put some rock shox reba 302 on it, a new rear cassette, chain goes well, i'm planning on just upgrading as and when i can.
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Hi Ross

My XTC started out as a 2006 XTC SX.It now has Reba SL forks,a full XT groupset,XT/717 wheels and weigh about 5 lb less than it started out.
    Its not normally the most sensible way to aquire a 24lb hardtail,but the XTC has a frame well worth upgrading,if you decide to go that way.
    My project was helped by winning an XT groupset,and buyng forks and wheels secondhand then selling the redundant bits,so all in my bike actually cost me £800 inlcuding the original purchase cost of the bike itself.
    However,first always consider what you would get for your bike if you sold it now plus the cost of the upgrades and take a look around to see what the total would buy you.
    Some great deals around at the moment.
    Have seen bikes like the GT Zaskar and Trek 6700 for £700.
    Some good deals on higher spec XTCs at ww.paulscycles.co.uk,too.

Hope this helps

Pete
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    Wait, get new bike.