Near Macclesfield but not Macc. Forest

Jsolid
Jsolid Posts: 15
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
Hi there,

I live in Macclesfield and have been riding since just after christmas but I always end up going to the same place on a ride...Macclesfield Forest. It's a really good ride there but i'm just getting a bit bored of the same route(s).

Does anyone know any other good rides in the area?

Comments

• the bikemaps series of maps cover a lot of rides in the area, available on line or at Royles ht[url]tp://www.bikemaps.co.uk/peak_district.htm[/url]

Most rides involve going out or back throught the forest but try riding out through Sutton to Wincle, go over the permisive bridleway from Swathemley Hall through Gradbach Woods to Gradbach Youth Hostel then up into 3 shires head via bridleways on the east bank. Cross to the west bank and climb out to Cut Thorn, then up to the main road and down Cumberland Brook.

Alternatively there are a series of lanes and bridleways at the back of the Kerridge Ridge, use these to get to the junction on the Whaley Bridge road nr the highwayman pub. Cross this road and then you're aiming for a lane that finishes at Jenkin Chapel - marked with red or green dots on the OS maps. This is the corkscrew - difficult to put on a circuit but worth the trip. From Jenkin Chapel climb pym chair and drop into the Goyt on the side line - dirt track running adjacent to the road into the goyt (on the north side of road). From there upto cat and fiddle or reverse the goyt valley circuit if you like pain!

Getting out into the lower Goyt Valley can be done via Lyme Park. Using this cut through the park all day rides to Hayfield and Edale are possible with minimal road time.
  • Jsolid
    Jsolid Posts: 15
    Thanks for the detailed response! I'll give these a go this weekend.