Goodies from Aldi again

bratters
bratters Posts: 656
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
More cheapo bits and pieces from Aldi on thursday - helmets, glasses, computers, bike lifts/slings, car racks and a bit more. No clothes though.
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. Fake that and you\'ve got it made. - Marx (Groucho)

Comments

• sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    Last time Aldi and Lidl were doing cycling gear there was a debate about whether it was worth getting such cheap gear.
    From my experience..

The sunglasses are good for the price (especially as they come with a case and interchangeable lenses)
    Jerseys are not bad
    Socks are good
    Padded undershorts are crap
    Track pump is pretty useless and probably worth paying a bit more for a half decent one.

Don't know about lights etc but worth checking out.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/of ... sday08.htm

Adult Bike Helmet each £6.99
    Bottle Belt/Waist Bags each £3.49
    All Purpose Rucksack each £4.99
    Gel Saddle Cover each £3.99
    Cycling Glasses per pair £2.99
    Wireless Cycle Computer each £12.99
    Multi-purpose Air Pump 9.6V each £17.99
    Double Cylinder Foot Pump each £3.99
    Cycle Carrier each £24.99
    Bike Lift each £4.99
    Universal Cable Lock each £3.99
    Rich
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Been looking out for this coming in again.

Got that computer last time and no complaints. Heart rate monitor included too which is great for the price.

I cycling glasses all the time so the cheaper the better. Aldi version was better than the Cheap Wiggle version I got. Only problem is these ones don't seem to be the interchangable ones.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I got a few bits from Lidl last time they did their cheap gear so I imagine this stuff is much the same, so here's my experiences:

Track pump: Did the job - did have 1 explosion when pumping up the tire on my road bike once where the pump seemed to backfire and blew apart! I got it back together now and it's working again, I just have to keep my wits about me when using it and if it does start to backup on me, get it disconnected asap!

Cycle shoes: Do the job, as I mainly use the bike for commuting and recreational riding I didn't want anything to expensive. Similar to the MTB's SPD shoes, they have a nice firm sole and have worked nicely now that I've actually gone clipless :-) For £15 I think they where well worth it!

Cycle mitts: Do the job as a backup pair, could have done with a bigger size as they are a bit restrictive - guess that's what I get for letting the wife buy em!

Bike lift: Finally put this up at the weekend, having got it 2 month ago! Quite surprised as it does just what it says, lifts you bike up out of the way! I used to stash my bike in the entrance hallway, which was also home to the babies buggy. Having the bike up above the buggy now just makes things much easier! Also very easy to put up as I didn't make any effort to find joist's etc to mount it on, yet despite this it seems securely anchored! Having said that I wouldn't try putting anything but my road bike up there just in case :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I have been happy with everything I have bought from Aldi's apart from the track pump which has a hard time getting to 80pi let alone higher
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I am still using £2.99 sunglasses from last year. Outstanding value imo
  • ANC
    ANC Posts: 26
    I am still using £2.99 sunglasses from last year. Outstanding value imo

Does anyone know if they properly protect your eyes, though?

Must say that tool kit they did last year was pretty good.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The glasses UV protection came up in the last aldi thread

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 01e905d261

So, yes.

Aldi/ Lidl stuff thats been good value ime : socks, glasses, vests, plain shirts, gillets, emergency toolkits and some of the bike computers.