MTB shoes on indoor track

dodge1302
dodge1302 Posts: 40
edited July 2008 in Track
I've recently moved to MTB pedals and shoes on my road bike for sportive events and the like and ideally would like to stick with just one pedal system for all my bikes.

However, I was wondering whether MTB pedals and the metal cleats would be suitable for use on an indoor track such as Manchester or Newport?

Perhaps I'm just being silly and should continue to use my Look pedals, but I've always preferred to have just one system.

What are peoples thoughts on this???

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The most important consideration in track racing is not being able to pull your foot out easily - you could probably get away with MTB pedals as long as you tighten up the release mechanism to it's max - def not good to pull your foot out on a fixie at 25 mph :x
  • dodge1302
    dodge1302 Posts: 40
    Bronzie wrote:
    The most important consideration in track racing is not being able to pull your foot out easily - you could probably get away with MTB pedals as long as you tighten up the release mechanism to it's max - def not good to pull your foot out on a fixie at 25 mph :x

Absolutely! That would not be good!

I have crank brothers egg beater pedals which they claim you cannot pull your foot out of! Only if you twist to disengage, so they seem like a good choice in that respect. Certainly I have done some really fast out of the saddle sprints and they've never looked like coming out...
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    I used to ride track (Manchester Velodrome) regularly a few years ago now. I don't know about Newport, but I really can't see the coaches liking mtb pedals at all!!! They certainly wouldn't have allowed it in MCR when I used to ride there.
    I would imagine egg beaters etc would make a hell of a mess to wooden track if you were to come off & the bike slid down one of the bends?!!
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Dodge i have only recently started going to newport velodrome and to be honest it's Look pedals all the way. People have been turning up with mtb shoes and they are given a set of look cleats with straps attached to them so they can use the hire bikes there.

Out of the people that have their own bikes they again have look pedals or at least the ones i have seen have.

Not sure if it is the only style of pedals allowed but as spinner said i do believe some pedals would make a hell of a mess on the track if they came in contact with the wood :cry:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?