Cayo; Great ride, except for the backside.

buzz_ig
buzz_ig Posts: 32
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Just taken my new Focus Cayo out for a spin, it really is a lovely ride. Smooth and responsive, loved my little blast and looking forward to some good weather tomorrow.

But I have to say, the saddle, what were they thinking? It really is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had the pleasure of resting my rear on. I have swapped the Bontrager saddle from my hybrid on for now, but as I still need my hybrid, I'm on the look out for a new road saddle.

So where to look? There are hundreds out there, and they might look nice, but how do you know what they are going to be like after 100km or 100 miles?

And does anyone have a view on carbon seatposts? A real improvement over alloy, or just more bling?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    unfortunately/fortunately saddle choice if very personal so the bike makers will never get it right for everyone :cry:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    CHarge Spoon
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Hi Buzz

Should not laugh but :D I had the very same experience as yourself, the first 'up-grade' on my Cayo was that saddle! I now have a Selle Italia Gel Flite from Wiggle (I think), its much better now but as you say there are 1000's out there, so good luck with your search

Shane
  • I felt the same with the saddle but I persevered and now it's fine. I think my arse needed adjusting from the SDG saddle on my MTB. Give it a few months before you shell out £70+ on another saddle.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Spec Toupe - a dream of a saddle.
  • buzz_ig
    buzz_ig Posts: 32
    Thanks for the suggestions, something from every end of the spectrum!

Sorry Not Another Hill, but I'm too much of a wimp to persevere. A lovely 3 hours today on my old saddle, so I guess I should add Bontrager to the list.

Selle Italia seems the most common around these parts, so the easiest to compare against. Fizik also popular in local shops, anyone any experience of them?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Just changed to the Spesh Touple Gel and it is great once I set it flat and not angled downwards - dohh!!. That was painful. I went for the toupe because of the great reviews I had seen on this and other forums from other users. The only other one which I seen get as much coverage and engender as much devotion were the brooks saddles.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    doyler78 wrote:
    Just changed to the Spesh Touple Gel and it is great once I set it flat and not angled downwards - dohh!!. That was painful. I went for the toupe because of the great reviews I had seen on this and other forums from other users. The only other one which I seen get as much coverage and engender as much devotion were the brooks saddles.

But you have give up meat, grow a beard and ride a steel frame. :)
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    good luck! went through loads of saddles including charge spoons and various specialized, never found one i liked until i tried the fizik arione, heaven! very personal thing though, someone else will prbably say arione is torture.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Just been out for the first ride on my Focus Cayo Expert Campa and have come back after 38 mlles with a numb under carriage and 2 hours later is still numb!

On a side note I'm not too keen on the bar FSA either, way too narrow and really uncomfortable and have a numb little finger.

Other than that its a great bike!!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It is a great bike but it's a nightmare to fit a cycle computer to!
  • bendertherobot
    biondino wrote:

Same fork as my old Variado I believe!

I used a Polar CS100. Fitted the fork sensor straight then moved it inwards till the reading came on.
  • tobciocc
    tobciocc Posts: 276
    I've got a Planet X superlight saddle on both my racing and training bikes, only £25 and really comfy.
    Gabba Gabba Hey
  • biondino
    biondino wrote:

I used a Polar CS100. Fitted the fork sensor straight then moved it inwards till the reading came on.

The Cateye computer I have just fitted requires both speed and cadence sensors to be fitted on the left rear chainstay, which is so not the right shape, and neither are the cranks, or the spokes (actually the spokes are - flat aero spokes at least mean the magnet is facing the right direction).

As for the saddle, I am riding to Paris this weekend and will have three 60+ mile days in and on it. I'll report back to this threat afterward! Saddle is a "Concept Extreme" - Focus/Wiggle own brand?
  • bendertherobot
    biondino wrote:
    biondino wrote:

The Cateye computer I have just fitted requires both speed and cadence sensors to be fitted on the left rear chainstay, which is so not the right shape, and neither are the cranks, or the spokes (actually the spokes are - flat aero spokes at least mean the magnet is facing the right direction).

As for the saddle, I am riding to Paris this weekend and will have three 60+ mile days in and on it. I'll report back to this threat afterward! Saddle is a "Concept Extreme" - Focus/Wiggle own brand?

I had a Selle San Marco on mine. (Variado). Was ok to be honest. Good luck!
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Just been out for the first ride on my Focus Cayo Expert Campa and have come back after 38 mlles with a numb under carriage and 2 hours later is still numb!

On a side note I'm not too keen on the bar FSA either, way too narrow and really uncomfortable and have a numb little finger.

Other than that its a great bike!!

Snap.

Just changed my saddle for a Charge Spoon Titanium (in white) and have some of my favourite "wing" type bars on the way to replace the FSA ones. Then all will be good.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You aren't the only one not to get along with the stock saddle on the Cayo- I found it OK up to about 20-30km but started to annoy after that. Replaced it with a Brooks Swallow (not to everyone's taste I know :D) Have done a fair few long sportives since (125-230km) and have had no complaints from my rear end even if my legs have been tired. Wheels have since been upgraded and bar/tape is next.

th_Focus_Cayo_1.jpg th_Focus_Cayo_2.jpg
  • Well my old man still numb today which isn't good so went and bought a Specialized Toupe (in white of course) as I have had numbness in the past but it never went past a few hours and I'm not taking any chances!!
  • Not experienced an overly sore backside from my standard Cayo 08 saddle I have to say , done a few 70 milers plus on it since getting it.

Your ar$e always aches a teeny bit though doesn't it after a long ride ? but I'm not getting any major numbness or anything
  • Parsnip49
    Parsnip49 Posts: 205
    gavintc wrote:
    Spec Toupe - a dream of a saddle.

/thread
  • biondino
    A saddle named after a wig. Classy.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    biondino wrote:

Baldy might have been better in that case given the lack of plastic at the sides and down the middle :D
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    doyler78 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Baldy might have been better in that case given the lack of plastic at the sides and down the middle :D

A saddle named after me? Incredible! Thank you :D

On topic: I changed mine too. Selle Italia XO gel .. 15 quid. Sorted.