from commuting to the l'etape....a bike for all seasons?

monty345
monty345 Posts: 3
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hello everybody,

any help on this would be most welcome:

I commute on a Ridgeback Horizon 20miles in and 20miles back each day winter/summer and want to move up a notch on my equipment........but also I am thinking about 09 or 2010 for a go at the l'etape. I'm planning to get in longer rides, but continue to build on the 150+ miles per week.

The bike i'm looking for has to do pretty much everything.....commute in summer for fast time trials and winter slogs - but also be good enough, light and geared for BIG rides....all for about 1000 pounds'ish......I'm thinking a 7005 tube, shimano triple as must haves but not sure on who provides best comfort/speed frame design or components?

Big ask - but any ideas?? :roll:
[/quote][/i]

Comments

• wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    actually I've been considering a ridgeback horizon as a bike for all seasons, what is it that you don't like about it ?
    or what do you like about it
    it seems to tick all your boxes
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    As Wiffachip says, it sounds like you've the right sort of bike as it is, so perhaps something like the Dawes Audax Supreme, Byercycles Aravis or Kinesis Racelight T would be an upgrade on frame and components. For £1,000 you're close on custom territory if you choose the components right, Bob Jackson, Hewitt et al.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • monty345
    monty345 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys - appreciate the replies.

The Ridgeback is fine for the commute, I was just not sure the frame and equipment would get me up the bigger hills. I like the ridgeback, but feel its a bit behind on the standard of equipment I'd like - I'll check out your recommendations.

I'll be using the ridgeback as a winter bike, and the new one for 'dry' riding only (very difficult in Scotland!).

Cheers, and again, thanks for taking the time.