Shirts - what do they mean?

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
Trying to learn a bit, while watching the Tour de France.

Never really watched a cycle race before. Bit confused about the shirts though.

Yellow - I know is the leader's jersey.

But what about Green, Pink & the spotty one etc?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Green - Sprinters
    Polka Dot - King Of The Mountains
    White - Young Rider ( 25 or under )

Pink - Leader of The Giro Italia
    exercise.png
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    There's also the race numbers.

White on red background - Most aggressive rider from the previous day. Tomorrow it's most likely going to be Sebastien Lang, who was out of the peloton for most of the day.

Black on yellow background - Leading team. The team whose riders are best placed in the GC, with the top 3 riders from each team taken into account. Today, it was Caisse d'Epargne.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    It's confusing at first, but the thing to remember is that there are several competitions going on at the same time - as well as the general classification (total time over the entire race - yellow jersey) there are separate competitions for sprinters ("points" - green jersey) and mountains (polkadot). These are based on accumulated points for passing certain markers first (or second, third, fourth etc) or being the first to the top of certain climbs. Like the yellow jersey these are worn by the rider with the highest total scores in these competitions accumulated over the entire race so far. And then winning a stage is another thing entirely - it may help you move up in the GC, but it's a prestigious achievement in its own right. The wikipedia article on the Tour de France explains it all quite well.

The fact that there are all of these different ways to "win", and the fact that different riders are aiming for different things, is what makes the TdF and other stage races exciting to watch, but unfortunately it also makes it less accessible for newcomers who don't know how it works. So for example if you get a small breakaway on a hilly stage the main group (peloton) may not bother to chase it down if no-one in the group has a chance of getting the yellow jersey. Someone in the breakaway will get the stage win, but the yellow jersey contenders can conserve their energy for when it matters.
  • FSR_XC
    Thanks for the explanations.

I also now know what the peloton is.
    GC - is this General Classification?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• neeb
    Yup, GC = general classification, = yellow jersey.

One confusing thing is that the green jersey competition is often called the "points" competition, but the mountains (polkadot) competition is also based on points (although different ones).
  • neeb
    Another important thing to know (which you will know already if you ride on the road yourself in group rides) is that you can move a lot faster with less energy on a bicycle if you are in a large group, and to a lesser extent if you are in one other person's slipstream. You can also slow someone down by riding in their slipstream. So a lot of the maneuvering and mental calculations the riders are making are based on this - there's no point trying to ride away from the peloton at the front if you can't really put a lot of effort in, because as soon as you are on your own you immediately have to produce more power to go at the same speed.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Some lesser-known ones, but to be looked out for nevertheless...

"Ripped jersey" - automatically awarded to rider that has had a crash

"Wet jersey" - it's raining out and rider has forgotten his waterproof

"Long sleeve jersey" - rider is chilly and didn't have enough warm tea before setting off

"Bulging jersey" - rider has nabbed all the grub from other riders' pockets

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    neeb wrote:
    Another important thing to know (which you will know already if you ride on the road yourself in group rides) is that you can move a lot faster with less energy on a bicycle if you are in a large group, and to a lesser extent if you are in one other person's slipstream. You can also slow someone down by riding in their slipstream. So a lot of the maneuvering and mental calculations the riders are making are based on this - there's no point trying to ride away from the peloton at the front if you can't really put a lot of effort in, because as soon as you are on your own you immediately have to produce more power to go at the same speed

Howeer some sponsers will want a rider to break away even if they haven't got any real chance of winning. Just to have their name standing alone for 1/2 hours can be very lucrative indeed. Money talks
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • FSR_XC
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Some lesser-known ones, but to be looked out for nevertheless...

"Ripped jersey" - automatically awarded to rider that has had a crash

I believe Cadel Evans has that one at the moment

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    neeb wrote:
    You can also slow someone down by riding in their slipstream.

I don't really think you can slow a rider down by sitting in. Unless, of course, you hang on to his jersey :) It's harder on the front but having someone, or even a whole line of riders on your wheel doesn't make it any harder.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • neeb
    I don't really think you can slow a rider down by sitting in. Unless, of course, you hang on to his jersey Smile It's harder on the front but having someone, or even a whole line of riders on your wheel doesn't make it any harder.
    I thought that's sometimes the reason for teams sending someone to sit on the tail of a lone breakaway rider and refusing to take turns at the front? I've a vague feeling I remember reading about it in one of Lance Armstrong's books. On the other hand, I can't immediately see how the physics would work...
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    The drag in the slipstream is only psychological
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If there are several riders who will work together, each doing a turn on the front, then you they'll all go along quicker.
    But if you get a rider/riders to get in the way of this, to sit behind the leader and block this paceline, then it slows it down from the speed it could have been doing

And if you're out alone, having someone sitting on your wheel and refusing to share the work is mighty pi$$ing-off and slows you down that way, rather than increasing the drag an making it physically harder.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    In the TdF, is there anything like the white number on black background (for last rider on the road) they have in the Giro? (& didn't that used to be the black jersey?)
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Thanks for the explanations.

GC - is this General Classification?

Strictly speaking it's "General Classement" as King Kelly frequently uses on Eurosport.

AND the French will probably get all huffy if you debase their language with Anglicisms like "classification"

But seriously, it is Classement, and other great phrases like Bonification, Musette, Bidon. Understanding the great historical culture of road racing, the Tour in partitcular, is probably even more important than understanding the rules. History shows that neither riders nor commissaires are all that fussy about rules and the rules are liable to change without advanced noticed as the mood suits ;)
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    edited July 2008
    Last placed rider is the "Lanterne Rouge".
    These days he doesn't have a red light on the bike,just a white number on a red background.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    neeb wrote:
    You can also slow someone down by riding in their slipstream.
    Actually, the rider at the front also gets a slight advantage from being slipstreamed. It is a small effect, unlike the big advantage of being the rider behind. Described here.

The way that you slow down the rider in front is by sitting on their wheel forever and doing their head in! Alternatively, reaching forward and hanging on to their bike will also do the trick :wink: !
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Kinda related question - riders are awarded the same time for being in the same bunch or group at the finish. How is 'group' defined? eg is there a limit to its size or length in time, if you see what I mean? In other words, where or when does a group 'end'?

ta.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    A 'group' ends (IIRC) when there is a break of at least one second between riders crossing the finishing line.