105 vs mirage

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all i have just bought a second hand bike it is fitted with full 105 groupset on my current bike i have campag mirage is the 105 a level up looking at the prices of groupsets?

Comments

• Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    No Shimano groupset is one up on a Campag!! Here we go again (campag Shimano Debate)! Seriously though, Mirage would blitz 105 if the shifters were a little better. Stick with Mirage and upgrade the shifters to Centaur..
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Why not base your opinion on your own experience, rather than the biased views of others?
  • rpmk
    rpmk Posts: 136
    I agree with bill57. I've just ordered a new bike and for ages had been convinced I was going the Campag route ... mainly if I'm honest 'coz I like the carbon brake levers!

Anyway, tried a Campag equipped bike and a Shimano equipped bike, but - to my complete surprise - preferred the gear change on the Shimano along with the ways the hoods felt, as I ride there a lot. So now I'm picking up an Ultegra SL equipped bike next Saturday.

So, yes, ride them both, then decide. I think it is a debate with no right or wrong, just what works best for you.

It\'s not my fault I\'m slow - I\'m underpowered for my weight!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 (Commuter) / 2008 Look 586 (Best) / 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (Fun!)
  • volvine
    thanks for that i must say i have had no complaints with my Campag mirage gears at all but the new bike has the shimano 105 on it so looking forward to using it as i have only ever had the mirage before (first bike) will let you all no my un- biased thoughts.
    by the way upgrading from an aliminium Binchi 2004 model to a Trek Madone 2006
    carn't wait :lol:
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Campy King wrote:
    No Shimano groupset is one up on a Campag!! Here we go again (campag Shimano Debate)! Seriously though, Mirage would blitz 105 if the shifters were a little better.] Stick with Mirage and upgrade the shifters to Centaur..

Agreed. Go Campag. You get a free 'clunk' with every gear change, not something Shimano would think to give you.

Also Ergo's are repairable. Not that there's a UK service centre mind.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    105 is a more expensive groupset than Mirage. It is better finished too. 105 is a very good, functional group. The Campagnolo equivalent (roughly) is Veloce.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Personally I think tiagra shifters are better than mirage ones. Or maybe it's just my mirage shifters that feel all bendy and plasticy?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    will3 wrote:
    Personally I think tiagra shifters are better than mirage ones. Or maybe it's just my mirage shifters that feel all bendy and plasticy?

Mirage have Alloy brake levers now.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • will3
    will3 wrote:

and the gear shift paddle? Seems awful heavy to use.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    will3 wrote:
    will3 wrote:

and the gear shift paddle? Seems awful heavy to use.

Silver veloce have alloy gear shift paddles, all the others (bar record which has CFRP) have "plastic" gear paddles - they aren't flimsy on my Centaur ergos.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • will3

Silver veloce have alloy gear shift paddles, all the others (bar record which has CFRP) have "plastic" gear paddles - they aren't flimsy on my Centaur ergos.
    They aren't flimsy on my chorus ones either.........
  • volvine
    o.k i have done aprox 100 miles this week on my new bike and have to say without any preference that i think the shimano gears are working fine for me i just think that the shimano changes a little smoother than my old campag ones used to.
    although now having used both brands of gears i can say that my next bike purchase whenever that will be will NOT be made on what brand gearing is on it as i have no complaints with either.
    so the whole campag/shimano argument to ME seems a little stupid tbh only my experience and i know the 2 are only mid/bottom range but there you go just thought i would pass on my experience. :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    So sorry, saw this one a little late and going back to what Ste_S said: Weldtech are the new and better UK service centre for campag, and I'm doing a "tear ergo levers to bits and put them back together so that they still work" course next month- so The Bike Whisperer and other shops may start offering the service soon...

Watch this space!
    S.
    www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.