My Weight Is Falling...

johnnyrotten
johnnyrotten Posts: 216
edited October 2008 in Health, fitness & training
.....and this is not good for me! I am 6'2 and my weight fluctuates between 10.5 and 11 stone. I have to eat ilke a loon to stay at 11 stone. Cycling a lot is not helping. I never have much of an appetite, so that doesn't help.

Can anyone help me with the best way to be able to bulk up AND cycle without shedding pounds?

Many Thanks

Comments

• 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    johnnyrotten I have a similar thing, shorter than you but dropped from 12 to 11 stone in 6 months. Funny thing was I didn't realise I was losing weight cos I don't often weigh myself, and I thought I was eating a lot, but for me that means big breakfast, big lunch and big evening meal. Never been much into snack food. But thinking about it, my diet is just like what overweight people are advised to follow if they want to lose weight!

Anyway - how to solve it. For me it's about trying to eat more often, ideally every 3 to 4 hours. So that would add one or two more meals a day. Could be something simple like some fruit and a couple of yoghurts but it all helps. It's also a good idea to get some carbs down you within an hour of exercise to replenish the fuel you've used.

HTH
  • johnnyrotten
    Cheers. Need to start hitting the weights again as well. That really helped too. i got up to twelve stone last summer, then stopped training. Idiot.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Johnny -once you hit a certain weight, you can usually maintain it without the slog of gaining weight. Just do "maintenance" stuff - but don't stop the weights.

I've stuck at around 12ish stone (but 5'8") for ages, having put on three (healthy) stone a while back - and I do stacks of running and cycling.
  • webtoe
    webtoe Posts: 1
    Just to lob in my 2 pence worth.

I'm 6ft, 23 and have always had problems maintaining weight. Whether its due to an over active metabolism or a slightly over active thyroid (worth checking out as well! Mine is fine apparently but this can be a symptom) I have found it difficult to put on any sort of body mass while eating like a horse.

I have found that the best thing to do is force yourself to exercise as well as a good diet. You need to take on enough carbs to fulfill your energy requirements for the day/exercise as well as protein after exercise to rebuild damaged muscle fibres (if you're trying to build up muscle). I personally also do Calisthenics (push ups, sit ups, Indian squats, chin ups etc.) and have managed to put on _almost_ a stone in weight since March. This is from 9st 6lb to 10st 2lb or so. Also I'm pretty stacked now! Your body will attempt to maintain the required fat/muscle ratio if provided with the right diet and pushed to the right limits.

I can concur with the 4 hour thing. I have moved myself to roughly 4 meals a day rather than the typical three. If you have 4 moderate meals rather than three huge ones you should find a difference. I have 3 weetabix, juice and a coffee for breakfast around 8, a sandwich around 11ish, baked potato somewhere around 2 and then an evening meal around 7. This isn't a perfect time split (or perfect diet) but then life never provides such.

HTH

Alex
  • johnnyrotten
    Thanks all!

I started weights again yesterday. I think half the battle was psyching myself up for it, and facing the truth that it would take time to get last summer's build back. (which took six months to gain, and about the same to lose.)

I have been stuffing my face on bread and porridge oats in the morning, a big bap at lunchtime, a full dinner, and sannies at night. Plus milk, and chocolate at work. And back on the weight gain drinks! A pint of milk, two eggs, a bannana and a yoghurt plus chocolate body fortress. Great for when i feel to lazy to eat. :)

Kind Regards
    John
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have been stuffing my face on bread and porridge oats in the morning, a big bap at lunchtime, a full dinner, and sannies at night. Plus milk, and chocolate at work. And back on the weight gain drinks! A pint of milk, two eggs, a bannana and a yoghurt plus chocolate body fortress.[
    If you have a missus, she must hate you! :wink:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    to gain weight there is a simple solution, eat healthy until full then eat half as much again.
  • Maybe try protein supplements or meal replacement supplements - loads of weight trainers of all abilities use these kind of things and see results (especially with the best brands).

But, to be honest, nothing beats eating a hell of a lot of healthy food throughout the day, regularly :D
    Kona Kula
  • Tara911
    Tara911 Posts: 136
    wish I was a bloke and had to worry about gaining weight!!! :wink:
    The futures bright....

The future is PINK