Numb Toes with new SPD-SL Pedals

bobfat
bobfat Posts: 4
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I've been riding (fitness and commuting) with MTB style SPDs for many years without any problems.

When I got my new Specalized Allez Elite, I thought I'd go for some racier pedals and shoes. I got a pair of Specialized road shoes and 105 SPD-SLs. I found however, that after aprox 5 miles my toes became numb.

I think it's because the cleats are too far forward and that I am therefore applying pressure to the toes. I don't seem to be able to set the cleats far enough back to avoid this. I've got relativeley small feet (7.5) and this is the first time I've had Spesh shoes.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem (other than swap pedals for MTB SPDs - which I've had to do now)?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    It sounds like the shoes could be the problem rather than the pedals, how does the fit compare to your old shoes?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I set my Look cleats as far back as possible on my Spesh BG Comp shoes, they were roughly in the middle on previous Nike shoes, so maybe the bolt-holes are a bit forward.

But are your feet also sliding forward in the shoes, have you got the straps/velcro on the top tightened enough ?
  • bobfat
    bobfat Posts: 4
    Thanks.

I've always used Shimano shoes in the past, so it might well be due to the fit of the Spesh shoes. My Shimano shoes aren't compatable with the SPD-SL cleats so I cant swap them over. I might be able to fit MTB SPD cleats to the road shoes, however I'm not sure what this would tell me as the fixing is quite different. Might have to just buy a new pair of shoes.

I think the straps were sufficiently tightened, but I will have another go and pay more attention to this aspect.

Any other suggestions welcomed.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    make the straps looser - sounds weird I know - but i know if I tighten them a bit too much, and then my feet swell with the heat of exercise - then they go numb!

if they are of the three strap design (I have the specialized sport road shoes) then it's the middle strap in the middle of th foot which is the usual culprit!