Oh the shame....

SteK
SteK Posts: 148
edited July 2008 in The bottom bracket
I want to moan.

I don't usually moan - but today hurt my most tender part...

....well, the second most tender part - my pride.

I'm blaming Bikehut. It's probably mis-placed - but I'm British, there's no way this is my fault :wink:

If their team member had checked properly, they'd have noticed the 'noodle' part of a friends v-brake on the bike she was picking up was cracked and wasn't allowing the brake to pull properly. "Can you come and have a look Steve? It's too far to take it back and I don't feel safe riding it?"

It took 2 minutes to work it out - however, in that 2 minute investigation, the cable slapped me in the face twice and the under tight v-brake arm slipped forward and the spring punctured the palm of my hand - leaving my love-life in tatters :wink:

No problem, brave face Stevo - she's a pretty girl. It's a £3 part from the LBS (2 mins rude up the road) or miles back to Bikehut.

So I ride up to the LBS. It's an elite downhill/slalom MTB place. I can hear the sniggers as I totter in on my cleats with my lycra on. Three quid lighter I say my thank-yous and the guy holds the door as I leave the shop.

Five stone steps.

Look Cleats.

Drizzle.

Oh yes.

You know I fell.

My bar tape scuffed down the wall, my arse scuffed down the steps, my ankle met the gravel and my chainring met my back. Equisite pain.

"Are you ok mate?!" said the LBS worker. I knew he didn't care, he just wanted me to crawl off the property so he could put the CCTV footage on youtube.

So Mr.Bikehut Kirkstall Rd. in Leeds. I blame you - you provided the first in the chain of events. I rode back to her house and fixed the bike. I'm hoping the shrug of the shoulders when she said "Erm, Stephen, your leg seems to be bleeding quite a lot?" was enough to secure a 'prince to the rescue' style story that will resonate throughout her and her young attractive friends.

Although the slight wimpering as I pedalled off might have put pay to that.

What a tit :oops:

Ste

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    this was not out side Stif was it?

:oops:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SteK
    You betcha!

Thank god the entrance is 'round the side. I hope no pretty student girls saw.

My ego is still present at 25 :wink:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Thanks for reminding me that there is ALWAYS someone worse off than I am :) Havent ridden for 2 weeks due to an ear infection (effected my balance every so often), its cleared up and Im going out this evening to chase my shadow for a few hours this evening.

Have you checked on youtube yet to see if you are on :P ?
  • SteK
    nothing to be found while searching for 'roadie falls over' or other such assorted terms.... thank the lord.

Ear infection eh? Doesn't sound fun, good luck with this evenings ride! I've still got a couple of aches and pains from the steps, but riding them off!
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    YouTube is passe you need to check on stupidvideos.com much they even have a 'just plain stupid' section :twisted:
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • SteK
    I daren't look.... I cringed too much when I saw some guy fall down some mountain ravine on youtube.

For fear of seeing someone die - or worse, seeing me bounce down steps - i'll avoid for now!

I read somewhere you were doing a 25 at the weekend Boybiker?? How'd it go - weather hold out for you??
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    :shock: :lol: Reminds me of the first time I ever rode clipless on the road.
    1. Bindings too tight
    2. Speed too much
    3. Brakes too sharp
    4. Back of bus too close
    5. Reactions too slow
    6. Memories too painful

Cycling...it's a cruel and selfish mistress :?
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    SteK wrote:
    nothing to be found while searching for 'roadie falls over' or other such assorted terms.... thank the lord.

Ear infection eh? Doesn't sound fun, good luck with this evenings ride! I've still got a couple of aches and pains from the steps, but riding them off!

I didnt go out :oops: , did an hour on the turbo while watching the documentary on Chris Boardmans hour record attempt instead :lol: . Hardest workout in ages, I defy anyone to watch it while on a turbo and not get carried away in the last 10 mins :roll: .