Best Road bike (racing) for under £700

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm looking for my first road bike ever having had an MTB for 6 months but find I am using it purely for commuting. I have a 9.5 mile each way daily commute - some hills but mostly flatish roads and paths. I want a bike I can also use for weekend rides out.

I think I want a road bike because I'm really enjoying cycling on road and it's getting me really fit - but I;m straining for something faster and sleeker than my chunky MTB.

I'll be utilising the Cycle to Work Scheme and don't really want to spend more than £600-700 which equates to circa £380 - £450 with the tax break. The scheme means going through Halfords.

I noticed the entry level Boardman has a great review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-08-22946

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    Hi,

There are lots of threads on this subject and the normal suspects will be mentioned... allez, trek, bianchi.... etc.. etc.

Simply, go to a decent shop get sized up, try a few in the price bracket and there you have it.

The main thing is to remember thatthe Halfords C2W scheme can get almost any bike that you want albeit may go to a different bike shop as most of the above do not want their brand in Halfords... But the voucher will be valid, so happy shopping.
  • steerpike
    thanks BS,

so, for instance, I could go to a 'better' independent shop where I live, choose a bike and then Halfords would simply source it for me. Ok, sounds good.
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    thats the ticket.

I picked up Trek 1.5 £600 through exactly same scheme but collected the bike from "on your bike" in london bridge. I also sent the 10% equip voucher there :D

No need to deal with the retarded Halfords.
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    The best advice - other than the excellent advice babyshambles has already given - is probably:

1. Bike fit is the most important factor and is harder with drophandles; read some online guides and find a shop that does detailed fitting - you'll usually have to pay, but they'll refund if you buy from them.

2. Try to find a sports tourer, Audax bike, or cyclocross bike. They're tougher than normal racers, can run grippier more comfortable tyres, and have better brakes, but are at least 99% as fast - which is why a lot of pros use them for winter training. £700 would scrape you the Focus Mares Cross, if Halford's can source one, a cross bike with great reviews. £300 could get a Surly Crosscheck or Cotic Roadrat (short, drophandle version) frame, which a store could build up with whatever components you like. You could also look at a Specialized Tricross, although it might be a little more than 700.

3. If you need to fit fenders and racks, check the frame can take them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    meanwhile wrote:
    2. Try to find a sports tourer, Audax bike, or cyclocross bike. They're tougher than normal racers, can run grippier more comfortable tyres, and have better brakes,

My Audax bike takes the same brakes as my racing bike, and takes the same tyres.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • steerpike
    hmm - wise words all - thanks.

One thing that hasn't been raised is which one I will look coolest riding and will impress the birds most. :wink:
  • boyse7en
    boyse7en Posts: 59
    which one I will look coolest riding and will impress the birds most

Definitely a Ducati
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    meanwhile wrote:
    2. Try to find a sports tourer, Audax bike, or cyclocross bike. They're tougher than normal racers, can run grippier more comfortable tyres, and have better brakes,

My Audax bike takes the same brakes as my racing bike, and takes the same tyres.

Yeah: the Audax is definitely "less differentiated" from regular racers than the others, especially the cross bikes. I definitely wouldn't expect it to have the brake options of a tourer or cross, but I would expect it to take 28mm tyres. This is what the CTC says about a typical Audax bike:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3598

Other than extra clearance and fittings for mudguards etc, the frame of this variety of touring bike is not essentially different from a racing bike. The wheels are also very similar, fitted with 23 or 25mm racing tyres up to the narrowest of touring tyres (28mm max). A different model of brake is needed (than a racing bike) to reach over these tyres plus the mudguard. The gears will also span a wider range than most racers. Triple chainsets are the norm on audax bikes, as are dropped handlebars.

Sometimes called a “fast tourer” these bikes are often fitted with luggage carriers and lighting – for overnight audax events. They are also good for long-distance commuting and light touring – provided you stick to roads.

For someone who wants a speedy road bike for the fitness and fun of riding fast on tarmac, but isn’t sure if they’ll get into racing or touring, the audax bike will not disappoint whilst keeping both options open.