Pearson Hanzo

JonBurns
JonBurns Posts: 212
edited November 2008 in Road general
I've been looking at getting a fixed wheel bike for a while now but with so many options available I've never been able to make a decision. I've now got my eye on a Pearson Hanzo but being 'up north' there's no way I'd get to see/ride one in the flesh.

Has anyone got any experience of this bike or of Pearsons? I like the impression I get of them and having the bike pretty much built custom appeals.

What would be the advantages of going for the steel Hanzo as opposed to their Alu Touche which got a good review in C+?

I'd also assume the handbuilt Ambrosio wheels would be much better than any other off the peg solutions would provide, but would I be better spending the extra £50 for the Xero wheels?

I'm also thinking about having bull bars on it instead of drops so as to have a change from my road bike, would there be any disadvantage of having these?

The bike would be used for commuting 8 mile each way in Cheshire with no major gradients involved. I know there's quite a few questions but I know your a helpful lot :)

Thanks

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Looks NICE! Doesn't say what the forks are as far as I can see, but assuming same as on the Touche then choice depends IMO on whether you want sloping or horizontal top tube! And whether you prefer alu for lightness and non-rusting or steel for....nostalgia.

Personally I'd prefer sloping in alu....drat!

I and a few others on here recently bought cut-price Langster framesets from Pearsons- excellent quick service in my experience!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • JoeT
    JoeT Posts: 18
    I have a Pearson Touche and it's great, so I don't think you can go far wrong with the Hanzo. However I would be tempted to ask them why it's 100 pounds cheaper than the Touche, it can't just be the difference in the cost of the frame?

- Joe
  • meagain wrote:
    Looks NICE! Doesn't say what the forks are as far as I can see, but assuming same as on the Touche then choice depends IMO on whether you want sloping or horizontal top tube! And whether you prefer alu for lightness and non-rusting or steel for....nostalgia.

Personally I'd prefer sloping in alu....drat!

I and a few others on here recently bought cut-price Langster framesets from Pearsons- excellent quick service in my experience!

The fork is a full steel fork. :)
  • PaulRide
    PaulRide Posts: 122
    I've tried both the Hanzo and the Touche and they're very different bikes. The Hanzo feels remarkably similar to the Kona Paddywagon that I've been using for my 8 mile each way commute for the last two years. Rides smoothly, not too heavy. But a lot heavier than the Touche, which was a bit of an eye-opener when I tried it. The light weight must have been part of it, but it just felt much more lively.

The wheels may be excellent on both bikes but I have to say I have no complaints whatsoever about the stock wheels that came with my Kona. I've heard people being unhappy about wheels on off-the-peg bikes of this sort - perhaps I've just been lucky with mine.

Bars - I've hardly used the drops on my Kona in the last two years and I'd have been very happy to have bullhorns on it. The only disadvantage of bullhorns is if you're sensitive about being seen as a fakenger.

Pearsons are a real bike shop. Almost worth moving to Sutton for! Really helpful people.
  • PaulRide wrote:
    ................Almost worth moving to Sutton for! ...................

Nothings worth moving to Sutton for, trust me. :roll: