Giant SCR1 (+extras) v Focus Cayo v Planet X

uksteve7
uksteve7 Posts: 10
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Giant SCR1 (+extras) v Focus Cayo

Easy question...I have £1000 bike to work scheme cash to spend for a good road bike for getting to work each day (over 100 miles/week).

I have narrowed it down to a Giant SCR at £800 on offer, which will leave me £200 for extras
OR a Focus Cayo at the £999 limit.

Now... its obvious which is the best bike, but which is better value for money for my ride to work? Is the extra £200 worth it??? Or do blow that on my lights, pedals, etc?

It comes down to asking will I regret not getting the Cayo, and is it that good it warrants me blowing my whole allowance on it, and having to fork out full price for the extras I will need. Sense v Spec!!!

Any opinions appreciated!

Edit: Planet X SL Pro Carbon (Dura Ace) is also on the £1000 mark. Thats a choice of 3 options now!!!!

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Does the cycle to work scheme cover equipment too, or just the bike?
  • uksteve7
    uksteve7 Posts: 10
    It covers lights, safety stuff, and all the main items, even clothing that is reflective (i.e.safety).

As my post said, it is an SCR1 and £200 of essentials v a Focus Cayo.

So... is the Cayo worth £200 of extras over the SCR1? It is a question with no real answer, but I'd be keen to know how much better riders think it is, and anything anyone with experience can say would be really appreciated.
    Logic says get the extras and the cheaper bike, but I may regret not putting all my cash into the best bike (want to get it right first time).

I'm stuck! What would you do (ideally directed at those here who have a better grasp of road biking and who can make a decision based on riding experience.

Help, please!?

Oh, and if you say go for the Cayo, how does the Planet X rate when compared? I have seen rave reviews of the Cayo, but no reviews of Planet X bikes (the SL Pro Carbon is even better spec with the Dura Ace for £1000.... but how are the carbon frames?!).
  • carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Just to throw another choice in to the mix, a Ribble at £999:

SPECEDNERO_1_Zoom.jpg

I can only comment on the Planet X (which due to the credit crunch I had to sell :cry: ). It was an amazing machine, but coming from an old MTB hybrid I'm sure any of the above would have felt amazing. It all comes down to customer service and after sales. Planet X were absolutely fantastic, however if I had the same choice now I may well have gone for the Ribble as they are only 10 miles away from me.

Carl.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I've just bought a Cayo, and have no complaints.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The Planet X Carbon frame shape is very ugly IMHO - looks like a BMX. I have a Cayo (Expert). Make your own mind up as to whether I'm biased :)