Carbon soles

kafkathedog
kafkathedog Posts: 242
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Have ridden on and off for many years, I finally treated myself to some carbon soled road shoes. (I know I'm always late to the party)

Wow what a difference, I was dubious as to the difference over nylon soles as per my specialized mtb shoes but boy was I wrong, the feel is very different with noticeably more power going down.

So beginners (or oldies like me who haven't cottoned on) - if you can afford them get some they are well worth the investment.

The new shimano spd cleats are great and easy to walk with no noticeable slip, unlike the looks which I tried (although many years ago to be fair - probably 12+- they are probably better now).

I got Adidas Road Pro shoes in white by the way, it was a tough choice between those and the specialized road pros which I very slightly preferred - but I got a much better deal with the Adidas ones.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wow what a difference, I was dubious as to the difference over nylon soles as per my specialized mtb shoes but boy was I wrong, the feel is very different with noticeably more power going down.

So beginners (or oldies like me who haven't cottoned on) - if you can afford them get some they are well worth the investment.

Some nylon soled shoes can very stiff, I've got a pair of Nike nylon soled shoes for winter and some Northwave carbon soled shoes - I can't tell the difference in stiffness, but the Northwaves are a lot lighter and better looking.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    Maybe my shoes have lost their stiffness (happens to us all eventually :shock: )

They are quite old.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I have some SIDI G4s (I think) and some Northwave Aereator 3s. Both have cabon soles, but the Northwaves seem much stiffer, its not like there is a noticable flex in the SIDIs but when I switch to my Northwaves I suddenly feel how the shoe puts all the power down.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Is there a big diff in price between Carbon and 'normal' sole shoes?
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Got some Shimano carbon soled shoes from a charity shop near Inverness paid 6 quid for them, much better on the hills than my old Mtb spds shoes with flexy soles.

that has to be the deal of the year :lol:

Unless you've done better
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace