Hi Everyone

AdamBM
AdamBM Posts: 35
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys and girls in any, I've just got into biking again I've never done it competitively just for fun, My bike is nothing special but I'm in the process of lightening it and converting it into a 9 speed.

I have a few questions, I currently have a 7speed cassette and want to get a new rim and 9 speed cassette I know I will need a new chain, rear derailleur and gear shifter, I have taken the front derailleur off as I don't have a need for it and it was more trouble than it was worth. is there anything else I will need to consider before changing to 9 speed.

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sounds about it to me....maybe check the freehub body is the same size (I know the 8 and 9 speed ones are, but not sure about the 7 speed)
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • AdamBM
    AdamBM Posts: 35
    yeah the freehub is 9 speed compatible.
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    might be better value getting a new bike ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    AdamBM wrote:
    yeah the freehub is 9 speed compatible.

are you sure? 7spd bodies are not compatible with 8/9spd cassettes. Unless you have a 7spd cassette and spacer on a 9spd hub.

But buying a new wheel would be more cost effective.so what is the bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown