Jensen frames

nicktid2003
nicktid2003 Posts: 66
edited December 2010 in Road general
Hi All,
I have a 60's Jensen that I have restored, the badge says 'Jensen Cycles Croydon'.
I have been told that Thanet Cycles in Bristol used to sell Jensen frames as well.
Does anyone have any info about Jensen history etc?
Cheers,
Nick.
Nick Tidman

Comments

• hujenx
    hujenx Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I have a 60's Jensen that I have restored, the badge says 'Jensen Cycles Croydon'.
    I have been told that Thanet Cycles in Bristol used to sell Jensen frames as well.
    Cheers,
    Nick.

I can't tell you much history except confirm that your'e correct that they were a popular model at Thanet Cycles - good value and plenty of options for customised details and you saw quite a few around Bristol in the 60s. I bought a road frame in 1962 - I think they made two basic models, standard and professional and a track frame also. I think mine (standard) cost around £22 including a few special items - plus fork ends, centre-pull bridge and maybe less bb set.
  • KeithGlos
    KeithGlos Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    Cheers,
    Nick.
    A bit late, just saw this. Jensen were made by Stan Etherden and John Barclay in Whitehorse Road Croydon. Class frames, good value. Stan had been a pro on Herne hill, and after frame building became a motor radiator repairer.
    Frame numbers started with 2 digit year code. I still have 3 in perhaps a sad condition, with quite a racing history.
    Dave White was Ron kitching rep in the South at the time, and he introduced these frames to Bristol.
    Contact me if you wish.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Just came across this thread, I know it is a long time ago (not as far back as your Jensen though!), but I actaully know Stan Etherden. I met him many, many years after his cycle/ frame building days; whilst he was a motor engineer. I am still in touch, needless to say he has retired now.

Cheers.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • i have an unbadged nervex pro frame with wrapover seat stays which we think might be a Jensen i have exchanged emails with Kieth on retrobike any one in surrey who might be able to help id it
  • Hi Andyslandy,
    Not in Surrey but I have a 1963 Jensen so I could let you have the frame number for mine so you could see if yours fitted the pattern of their numbering and the location of the stamping etc. Have you looked at the information on Jensens on Classiclightweights site? This is a great site and there is a good article on Jensens.
    Mine is a 'clubmans' type frame with mudguard lugs and I'd dealy love a close clearance frame plus a track frame which I understand they did as well.

Give me a PM if I can be of help. Cheers,
    Nick.
    Nick Tidman
  • mine is a clubman frame no 61433 on bb on the downtube side the only reason i think its a jensen is the frame no matches try having a look on here http://picasaweb.google.com/andyslandy.s4