lots of punctures?!

tomb118
tomb118 Posts: 32
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have a trek 4300, it came with matrix 750 rims and bonty connection tyres 1.95. I recently swapped the tyres for some fire xc pros 2.1. since ive had the tyres ive had about 6 punctures and ive barely done any riding due to university exams and work. A couple i think were because i under inflated them, and a couple could be due to not too well repaired punctures. Ithought my ineer tubes might be the wrong size for the new tyres so i bought some that were but now i have punctures in them! The thing is though i haven't ridden the bike since i put the last one in and now its gone flat! the holes are nearly always more like tears a couple of mm long.ive checked the inside of the tyres and rims and can't see anything. am i doing something obvious wrong? i was wondering if the tube is getting caught between the tyre and rim out ive tried to avoid this when fitting the tubes. im confused!
Cheers
Tom

Comments

• xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    Do these tears come in pairs, opposite each other on the tube? Sounds like it could be pinch flats, which are usually caused by underinflation and then hitting at egde hard with the wheel (think riding up a curb and not quite pulling up enough). Try upping the pressure a bit.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Great, just had a set of these tyres delivered and was gonna put them on at the weekend - hope i don't find the same as have been puncture free on my OEM Scott tyres.
  • tomb118
    no, they're not like snake bites and like i say the last one seemed to happen all on its own while the bike was standing in my cellar!
  • taff_94
    taff_94 Posts: 33
    I had this problem and went through five innertubes, What i didn't realise was that there was a tiny thorn in my tyre wich i couldn't see. Found it by catching my finger on it, took it out an no more punctures.

And you say it just happened in your garage aswell, possibly when your rolling it in there it caught on somthing like a thorn stuck in the wheel and had a slow puncture.
    so have a really good look at your tyre might be your problem.

Taff
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    tomb118 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a trek 4300, it came with matrix 750 rims and bonty connection tyres 1.95. I recently swapped the tyres for some fire xc pros 2.1. since ive had the tyres ive had about 6 punctures and ive barely done any riding due to university exams and work.

When i swapped my Continetal Speed Kings for the Panaracer fire XC's i found them to be very puncture resistant tbh. I would suspect it has something to so with either the inner tube pressures or the fitting of the inner tube on the rim. As an alternative try the Specialized innertubes. They are about a fiver each but are very tough.
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    Another thought is to make sure no spokes are poking through into the tube and check the tire with your fingers (carefully) for thorns or glass that may be embedded in your tire.

The fact that you're getting punctures when you're not riding it suggests there's something stuck in the tire or a spoke coming through from underneath.

I have Fire XC Pro's on my other bike and although I do get some punctures (usually during the thorny season) they're generally very good.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • tomb118
    what effect could the tyre pressures have, could they be pumped up too high? i don't have a pressure gauge but borrowed one off a mate and i reckon it had 35-45psi in it. i'll have another look, want to use it to get to work tomorrow!
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    If theres no evidence of a thorn or spokes protruding the tape of the wheel, it could be that you are inflating the tube & it is getting pinched between the wheel rim and tyre bead.
    what I do is partially inflate the tyre then rotate the wheel gently pinching the wall of the tyre to release any inner tube thats getting pinched, then inflate some more, and then I usually wheel the bike forward bouncing the tyre gently for a couple of rotations just to be doubly sure before fully inflating
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I have found the Panaracers to be a bit prone to punctures. More so than other tyres I have used but I love the grip and feel on the trail.
    Take some tissue paper and run it all around the inside of your tyre and around your rim. If anything catches on the paper you will notice and can assess it. Have a look at the tools you are using to place tyres. I have some DH treads that need a flatbladded screwdriver and I sometimes catch and tear the inner tube which deflates slowly. Try to use only proper plastic tyre levers. Make sure you are using an inner tube rated 26x1.95-2.1 (or higher). Partially inflate the innertube before inserting it into the tyre - this way it takes shape and is less likely to catch between the rim and tyre bead. Go for a pressure of 32PSI (feels very solid to the hand but gives just a bit when you sit on the bike).
    Some of these things have been mentioned by other contributors - sorry If I am repeating some people! Thats all I can think of.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    get some spesh armadillos elite, not had a puncture since i fitted them over 1k miles ago :D