120mm forks on a hardtail

Core Rider
Core Rider Posts: 6
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
hey all

sorry for a stupid question, but im thinking of upgrading my rock shox tora 289 (100mm travel) on my genensis core 20 to a fork with 120mm of travel, im not too concerned with make or model of the new forks yet, im just wondering whether 120mm on a hardtail is overkill or does it work well?
and out of curiosoty (?) what is the difference between a fox 32 and a fox 36?
many thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited July 2008
    it all depends on what travel the frame is designed for.

and further looking shows the core 40 has a 85 to 130mm U-turn fork so 120mm will be ok.

what happens. for every 25mm change in axle to crown race distance the head angle changes by 1 degree.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the quick reply,
    Ive checked with Genesis, and they say that between 100 and 130mm of travel will work with the frame, but is 120mm too much for hardtails in general?
  • nicklouse
    but is 120mm too much for hardtails in general?

Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks very much nicklouse
    sorry i realise it was a silly question :oops:
  • nicklouse
    not a silly question at all. :wink:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    and out of curiosoty (?) what is the difference between a fox 32 and a fox 36?
    32 means for 32mm diameter of the fork stanchions, and 36 for 36mm diameter.
    Fox 32 forks come with smaller travel and for XC and AM usage(max 140mm),
    and Fox 36 come with bigger travel(160mm) and are intended for FR and DH.
    :)
  • Many thanks XTREEM :D