Bike Wall Mounts

babyshambles
babyshambles Posts: 149
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Have just moved into a new place and storage is pretty tight, but I think I can store two bikes in the communal hallway but i need them as flush to the wall as possibe.

There is a bit of debate as to whether hanging the bike by the front wheel causes any problems. My first thought that this could perhaps 'strain' the wheel although this seems to have been poo-pooed in the above posts. I cannot rest the wheel on the floor so the full strain would be on the front wheel.

Whilst I accept comments with regards to 15st riders etc, as the wheel is mostly rotating, the strain will effectively be spread accross the whole circumfrence.... i just think the bike hanging in one place for say two weeks may distort the wheel????

Not sure how much bikes weigh (trek 1.2 and Trek 1.5) but as they sell the hangers, i guess they must be ok??

Any additional comments welcome please or particularly some PICTURES of your stored bikes would be great

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Both my and my wife's bikes are hung by the front wheel. No problems at all.

I'll take a photo tonight if I remember...
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I hang mine by the back wheel, this won't put any strain on the headset or any other connection that shouldn't be stressed.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    Gav2000 wrote:
    I hang mine by the back wheel, this won't put any strain on the headset or any other connection that shouldn't be stressed.

Gavin.

I don't buy that. Are you suggesting that the weight of a bike (say 10kg for arguements sake) will damage a headset that is designed to take 100kg static and shock loads of many times that?
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    tjm wrote:
    Gav2000 wrote:

Gavin.

I don't buy that. Are you suggesting that the weight of a bike (say 10kg for arguements sake) will damage a headset that is designed to take 100kg static and shock loads of many times that?
    I'm with tjm on that one. I've never had a problem with the two bikes I hang by the front wheel. My LBS does it for all bikes in the workshop with no ill effects over x number of years.

I don't know where all this bollocks has come from. Anyone would think the modern bicycle is made of papier mache... :roll: