How do i know what size frame

boyse7en
boyse7en Posts: 59
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Now, before everyone jumps in and says on the "Go and try riding it', I have tried riding it, and I'm still uncertain of what I should be looking for.

I'm looking at the Spesh Tricross, and went and test rode a 56cm model. The guy in the shop said that the bike was clearly to big for me, and said that I would need a 54cm frame.

The problem is that the 56cm felt fine to me, bearing in mind that the test ride is only 10 mins around the block, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for when I test ride the 54cm.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inside leg, which should fit the 56cm frame according to Spesh's chart.

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i don't have any experience of the Tricross but from the height / inside leg measurements you have i think the 56 is the one for you. I would need the 54 as i am 5'10 with 30" inside leg.
    Try the 54 and it might feel too short (saddle to bars), try the 56 again and see if the saddle / bars reach is better.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • boyse7en
    So what should I be looking for? Knee to elbow distance? Bend angle? or just what feels better?

I'm worrid that something that feels fine on a ten min test ride may be bad on a two hour ride
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    here we go mate, this might be of some help for you

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
    cartoon.jpg
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Doobz wrote:
    here we go mate, this might be of some help for you

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

Good suggestion! But don't follow a calculator like this too blindly - they generally assume a fairly conventional racing bike geometry, which the Tricross isn't.

The OP might want go over to the Cyclocross section at BikeForums and ask people what their experience of Tricross fitting is.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    woeps my bad - lol -
    cartoon.jpg
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago, went by the spesh chart and got a 56cm only to find it wasn't right. Took it back and they did a full bike fit on me.

It came out that I needed a 56cm top tube, but a 54cm in terms of my inside leg.

So I got a 54cm with a 130mm stem to help the reach, that said you need to ride it a few times and maybe cover 200 miles or so before you feel in harmony with the bike.

I would strongly recommend you get a bike fit at a god bike shop.

I know how you feel, so good luck

Flyer
  • boyse7en

Anyone know of a bike fitting service in the south west (Devon/Dorset/Somerset). All the bike shops here are of the 'try it and see' school of bike sizing

Out of interest, what height and inside leg are you - just for comparison?
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    boyse7en wrote:

Anyone know of a bike fitting service in the south west (Devon/Dorset/Somerset). All the bike shops here are of the 'try it and see' school of bike sizing

Out of interest, what height and inside leg are you - just for comparison?
    Tri UK in yeovil are OK. Built and fitted my bike to me. contact details are on the site www.triuk.com
  • phatspider
    phatspider Posts: 25
    Hmmm- you got me worried now - I ordered a 56cm without trying for size! It arrives tomorrow :roll:
  • boyse7en
    Well, I went and tried the 54 and the 56 back-to-back this morning.

Both felt fine on the flat, and the short climb of my test route (using the hoods) and the downhill on the drops felt fine too.

Where the I really felt the difference was 'honking' a short climb stood up and using the drops, where the 54cm was so twitchy and nervous that I sat down again.

So a 56cm has been reserved and I should be picking it up in a couple of weeks time!

Now I just need to decide on all the other paraphernalia that I need to go with it; pedals, computer, pump, etc.
  • phatspider
    How tall are you and whats your leg measurement? My 56cm turns up today - hopefully it'll be ok!

As for other bits - i think i'm set on the A530 pedals from shimano and not sure what else! Any advice gratefully received
  • bryan71
    bryan71 Posts: 89
    Being new to road biking.I have just purchased a road bike.I went to my local bike shop.He had 2 road bikes one at £300 then a scott carbon pro at £1700.He looked at my height and said he thought medium could be a touch small and a large may be better.But i could raise the seat post.So i said thanks and walked out.My height is 6ft 4"
    The next day i went to Paul Hewitts which is a fantastic shop.He measured me at 61inch so a medium would be far to small.
    I would recommend every one to be measured if they plan to spend well earned money
  • boyse7en
    I would recommend every one to be measured if they plan to spend well earned money

Wise advice, but not always practical. I've been to three LBS and none offer a measuring service - the next town with bike shops is sixty miles away, so a bit impractical (especially if i buy a bike there, 60 miles is a long way for a first ride!)

Phatspider - I'm 5'10" with an inside leg of 31" (to the floor, not trouser size)
  • phatspider
    Thanks boy7

My 56cm arrived today and because i'm no expert with bikes im not sure on size

If i stand over it theres pretty much no clearance between top bar any me! I'm 5"11 and 31" inside leg - thats trouser size so probably add another inch to floor. So the 56cm should be right based on what everyone has said

maybe its because ive never ridden a bike like this before and my mtbs i'v always gone with 19" frames and had plenty top bar clearance

Help - daren't ride it as then wouldnt be able to return it