Advice needed

beaububbly
beaububbly Posts: 4
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, My name is Jill and I have joined this forum in the hope of some advice.I dont drive and cycle everywhere about 35-40 miles a week.I bought a bike from Halfords in January and am hoping to buy a better one as I need one that goes better.I have seen cyclists pedalling slower than me and going faster(or am I imagining things?)
I am hoping to buy a bike when finances permit that is faster and maybe more comfortable to ride.The tyres on my bike are almost bald, do they usually go that quickly?
I havent got a clue what to look for and dont want to spend money that may not be suitable.
By the way does cycling make one lose weight? Or does it just tone the legs?

Comments

• meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    beaububbly wrote:
    Hi, My name is Jill and I have joined this forum in the hope of some advice.I dont drive and cycle everywhere about 35-40 miles a week.I bought a bike from Halfords in January and am hoping to buy a better one as I need one that goes better.I have seen cyclists pedalling slower than me and going faster(or am I imagining things?)

They could be in a lower gear and pedaling more strongly.
    I am hoping to buy a bike when finances permit that is faster and maybe more comfortable to ride.The tyres on my bike are almost bald, do they usually go that quickly?

A lot of tyres only last about 3000 miles. Some are designed for more durability than others.
    I havent got a clue what to look for and dont want to spend money that may not be suitable.

The sweet spot - the point where you get most of the gains in speed and safety - in commuting is when you spend around £300 on a reasonable "hybrid" type bike, if that helps.
    By the way does cycling make one lose weight? Or does it just tone the legs?

If you exercise more and eat the same, you lose weight. If you exercise more and eat more because you're hungrier, you stay the same weight. But 5 miles to work and 5 miles back at moderate speed probably isn't going to do much either way, I'm afraid.
  • Thank You
  • Thank You