Frame or components?

phillarrow
phillarrow Posts: 15
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I've already asked tons of questions in preparation for my new bike (and I really appreciate the replies) but I suffer from a rare mental condition called Tightarseitis, the result of which is that I can never just go out and buy something, I have to know I am getting absolutely the best deal.
Anyway, having decided to go for Ribble cycles for a Winter training/Audax bike I am now facing my final dilemna - Frame or Spec?
Do I get a strong, cheap alu frame and go for Ultegra components or get a carbon frame and lesser components (105 with cheapish wheels etc)?
What would you do?
P.S. The bike will need to be used all year round.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    well - if it wasn't for your last sentence i'd have said go for the carbon + 105 over the alu & ultegra. - you could easily upgrade the parts later - actually you could easily upgrade the wheels - you are unlikely to notice the difference between 105 and ultegra.

however - you say it needs to be used all year round - if by this you are thinking of putting full mudguards on it then the winter frame is your only real choice.

that said - i'd still have the carbon frame / 105 (actually i'd have veloce) and live with race-blade mudguards! (the clip-on things!)
  • A good responsive frame can be made from any material. Ride the carbon, ride the steel. Feel the difference. Carbon smoother and more comfortable on the road. Steel with a relaxed geometry can be the same. Unless you are into racing, steel is fine for what you are doing. Considering you are going to be riding year round, mudguards, racks perhaps a light, yada, gear yada, your carbon is going to weigh the same as steel and you will probably pay a lot more for it. If you are a new rider, (I have been hard core lifetime rider for over 40 years and own lots of custom bikes and now factory production bikes) a good mid-range factory bike from Specialized, Trek, etc. are more than sufficient. Frame and most importantly WHEELS are the heart of a bike, nickle and dime components ok. Inexpensive to replace. You can easily spend 500 pounds on a good set of wheels that may come as a standard add on with a new factory bike. You can make a 200 PS bike ride like a 700 Pound Sterling bike just by changing out the wheels. You can also make a 2500 PS bike ride like a very cheap crappy bike by putting cheap crappy wheels on it. I am not familiar with the Riddle brand of bike, but it seems like there are plenty of factory options out there that will fit your needs.
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    phillarrow wrote:
    I've already asked tons of questions in preparation for my new bike (and I really appreciate the replies) but I suffer from a rare mental condition called Tightarseitis, the result of which is that I can never just go out and buy something, I have to know I am getting absolutely the best deal.

Use for commuting and get your HR people at work to set up a Bike 2 Work scheme. You'll only pay 50% of the cost of the bike.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    There's not much difference between 105 & Ultegra to be honest.
    And I think Ultegra is a bit nice to use all year round if you have nasty winters.

But I wouldn't use a carbon bike in the winter. It's too nice. :D