Test Valley Enduro - A great ride spoilt.

*Pez*
*Pez* Posts: 112
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
A wet sunday, and still a good couple of hundred of the hardcore xc bikers descended on Andover for the Test Valley Enduro.

It's such a shame that somebody seems to have it in for the event.

The marker posts and signs were screwed around with and left everyone without a clue on where we were, or where we were supposed to be going.

It was not funny. A lot of people I had spoken to had travelled a considerable distance to take part in what turned into a disappointing ride back to the car by road.

Could the organizers have done more?
The event did seem well organized and the route was great (as far as we got), but it would not have taken a great deal for a pre-race route check, even if the signs were only put out the evening before.
Also a few marshalls along the course ESPECIALLY in the wooded section would have been sensible from a health and safety point of view if nothing else.

Oh well. Time now for a cup of tea...

Comments

• stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    Unfortunately you can't legislate for idiots, but you would think these things would be checked like you say. We have the same problem with the Rally Stages we set up, usually they are set up the day before, allowing idiots to come in overnight and remove miles of tape, hundreds of stakes and signs :twisted: :evil:
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • KonaCal
    KonaCal Posts: 2
    A mate and I were going to do the 50km as I'm only just getting back into MTB'ing but due to the weather we decided the 30km would be far enough. We passed a few groups going in the opposite direction to us just before we entered Collingbourne woods but we found that all the signs were correct so were at a loss as to what had happened.

What distance were you doing Pez and where do you think the signs had been changed?

I enjoyed the singletrack through the woods but the first part was not enjoyable at all, just a slog in the p***ing rain......which reminds me that I must finish cleaning the bike......... :shock:

Totally agree about the abscence of marshalls, I've never been on a ride like that before where there is absolutely no one except for two water stops! :? We stopped a couple of times through the woods just checking the map to see if it made sense, I guess it might help that I work with maps all of the time!

At least when we finished it had stopped raining and there was a warm shower!

I'll be back for another 'Hot Challenge' next summer! :lol:
    Life is not a rehearsal.........
  • *Pez*
    *Pez* Posts: 112
    We did the same.
    Started off with 50k intentions, but that quickly turned to a more sensible 30k.

The signs were screwed in the woods section. We did the fun bit of threading through the trees (and a nice little kicker with a drop after it), then continued up a bit of fire track. The arrows to this point were fine, then a short way up there was a 4-cross way that turned you left (with arrows and bunting in the trees). This took you down through a dip and up the other side and onto another fire track (a 3-cross way), where the arrows were doubled up and pointing back on themselves. There were at least 20 riders stopped or going in random circles trying to find the correct way through.

Well done on following the map. I had a comment from the finishing Marshall that I should have been fine as maps were provided. We all should have known where we were.

Either provide clear route markings, or provide a map. Both is pointless, as if you follow the signs, you don't know where you are on the map when the signs run out and you get lost!!

Not sure if I'll be back again. Apparently the same thing happened a couple of years back with the signs. It's a 2.5hr drive for me to get there so needs to be worth while.

Roll-on the Exmoor Explorer !
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    these rides you are all talking about sure do look fun, where would i find information on where they happen and when please?
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • KonaCal
    KonaCal Posts: 2
    Hi Bossangel!

The ride we are referring to was the Test Valley Tour - 'Hot Challenge'..............actually, see the website for full details www.testvalleytour.com

Pez - I think you're dead right there, either follow a map or ensure the route is well signposted with marshalls posted at any confusing junctions where it's not clear which way to go!
    I would of been really miffed if we'd gone wrong at any point. For me 30km was pretty much the limit on the day, any additional mileage would of been bad, very bad. (Curry and beer the night before is not ideal preparation......)
    I'm not sure I could show your commitment to drive that far on a miserable day and then have it compounded by poor way marking! Hope it doesn't happen again for you!

Hmm..... :idea: Exmoor Explorer.............I'll have to do a search on that! :)
    Life is not a rehearsal.........
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Might do one of these next time around, seems like it could be fun!

An exerpt from the website re the course getting messed up:
    A very soggy day was still supported by many riders who turned up despite the weather to ride the picturesque Test Valley trails. Unfortunately some riders encountered serious sabotage to the course in Collingbourne Woods where the route markings were carefully taken down and re-routed. Many thanks to Andy Darke who stayed in the woods to direct riders until we were able to put it right which took about 20 minutes. Although it didn't seem to spoil it for too many who enjoyed the extra lap of the woods. The day ended with a great atmosphere at the finish with a barbeque, cakes and tea to energise tired bodies, plus hot showers and bike wash to freshen up. The team expresses their thanks for the positive comments and kind words you gave at the finish. If you have any further feedback please e-mail

Pez: Looks like you were in that unlucky bunch that got lost before they could put it right.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team