The First Outing. Boy Am I Unfit!

Scorpion
Scorpion Posts: 30
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Okay then, just been out for the first time and I must admit I feel ill! :shock:

Should have taken it real easy the first time, stayed on the flat, got used to the gears etc but no, I had to do hills! Not steep hills mind, I imagine you would look at them with scorn, or not even notice you were riding up them, but they were like the Eiger to me! :roll:

Still I've got to keep at it, I'm 52 and apart from walking the dog I've had no real exercise since I quit the gym 5 years ago. Gonna take it easy now and work my way up gradually.

I must admit though the bike was fantastic and I'm looking forward to my next effort.

Will let anyone who's interested know how I get on!
'Tis Better To Sting Than To Be Stung!

Comments

• taff_94
    taff_94 Posts: 33
    Well done bud, keep at it and you will soon see that hills like that are a doddle.
    As for feeling ill that could be a sign tht you really tried your hardest.

Taff
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Keep at it, last october i bought my 1st mtb rode 2 mile near me and sat on the garage floor for 20 mins afterwards trying to recover, yesterday i did a 25 miler with my mate, i'm still a bit stiff today and still the 16 stone i was when i started but the fitness is kicking in LOL!!!

jontymo
  • Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    yeah kudos man, stick at it you'll soon discover how great a sport this is. Enjoying your rides even if they do leave you knackered is half the battle, and as previously mentioned you'll soon find them getting easier and loonger and more fun. :D
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Good on ya, keep at it just get back out real soon.

Cold baths will work wonders on your tired muscles and help save the planet.
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    since drinking sports drinks like lucozade sport or making my own with salt in i find my legs dont ache the next day, but well done, i'm a noob though been doing since january, you get to love it, having someone to ride with gets your ass out the day when motivation is low as neither of you wants to back down and pull out
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    You'll be amazed at how your fitness improves when you ride regularly. I started off-road riding last year and am so much fitter than i was back then (and I thought myself reasonably fit at the time)! Its a gradual thing but before long you'll be tearing up those hills and you'll never look back 8) Good luck and let us know how it goes :D
  • Stick at it man.

I'm the 'wrong' side of 40, and started cycling seriously in March. It's taken until now, but I'm really noticing a difference, and that's only weekend cycling.

Last couple of trips have been 40-50 milers, and I've come back feeling strong and ready for more.

Made new friends and discovered new places, and learnt a lot about myself.

Keep it up.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You'll get there!

I'm the wrong side of 40 too and I do 10-15 milers in the evenings, twice or three times a week (Weather dependent :oops: )

Then 30 miles at the weekend. Once you get to that then you want to do more!

In August I'm dong a 60 mile charity ride, I'm aiming for under 4 hours... (On my roadie)

Last year I did the South Downs Way on my old rigid, never thought I'd be fit enough, but my late Bro In Law encouraged me to train up to do it (He died before we did it :cry:) and now I just try to maintain myself at a decent level, without becoming obsessed

It soon builds up.

Over the winter I just do shortish 10-15 miles when the weather is ok and it's not too difficult to get it back in the spring 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large