Quick Q about a bash ring :)

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
i want to buy a E Thirteen SuperCharger Bash Ring from chain reaction to replace my outer ring..
just want to check, which ring do i count the teeth on to make sure i get the right size? also would i want the 104/110mm bash ring, or how would i know which?

Cheers
Ben

Comments

• Bones!!
    Bones!! Posts: 83
    well if ur replacing the outer ring, i would suggest counting the teeth on the middle ring because that is what you will be protecting. most probably 32 btw.

however on double and bash set-ups you often find that the rings are slightly larger than the inner 2 from a triple ring set up.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, unless you already know the answer!
  • ok kewl, cheers mate.

getting rid of outer cus 1) i haven't used it yet...2) i've already torn my leg and jeans up on it

would i need any different/longer screws to fit one in place or sould it all just be interchangeable?

Cheers
    Ben
  • Bones!!
    edited July 2008
    Should be supplied with longer chainring bolts. Although don't quote me on that as I've not personally used an e-Thirteen.

I fitted a Truvativ Bashring on my own bike and kept the outer chainring, Had to get lbs to order it specially tho as it's a large ring obviously to protect 44 teeth. This came with bolts, which are ridiculously hard to get replacements for, as i found out to my detriment when i sheared the outer rings off my chainset. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not convinced you'd need different bolts.
    I bought a saint twin ring + bash chainset. I occasionally swap the bashring for a large chainring, and I use the same bolts. Works fine. However, they are the bolts that were originally on the setup, so they may be longer than normal chainring bolts, although they don't look it.
  • Bones!!
    maybe depends on the design of the bash ring.

not saying you are wrong yeehaamcgee and will bow to your greater experience, but the Truvativ one i use does require longer bolts. :D
  • ok kewl...guess i'll see whan it arrives.....which is never atm as chain reaction doesn't have any in black :( gutted.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    I required longer bolts for my e13 supecharger (which came with it).

I plumped for the larger bash in case I decided to put the larger ring back on.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I required longer bolts for my e13 supecharger (which came with it).

I plumped for the larger bash in case I decided to put the larger ring back on.
    ditto here,
    it came with the necessary bolts and what not so no worries there. i also got 2 new chain rings, 24T and 36T and ended up getting the 40 size bashguard although should have stayed with the 36.