GT Owners Manual A Waste Of Time?

Scorpion
Scorpion Posts: 30
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Okay, read the owners manual as recommended, what a waste of time! It doesn't tell me anything, like setting up the forks or how to look after the hydraulic brakes, (in fact hydraulic brakes aren't even mentioned). :shock: :shock: :shock:

The manual was generic and not specific for the GT Avalanche 1.0 2008 model. I will try the GT site to see if there are any downloads, if not I'm afraid it's back here for 20 questions time! :? :? :?
'Tis Better To Sting Than To Be Stung!

Comments

• obriends
    obriends Posts: 69
    You need to look on the specific websites for the kit that is on the bike. I.e the Website for the makers of the forks or the brakes etc.

The owners manual as you have found out will not help. This is generic as they fit all sorts of kit to the bikes depending on the bike.
    The generic jhandbooks are rubbish - but ypu usually get the instructions for all the parts ie from Shimano for the drivetrain, Tektro for the brakes etc. If not, go back to where you bought it. However it is worth buying a book like Zinn to learn all the tricks.
  • Scorpion
    Cheers guys. I'm pleased that I'm not alone in my thoughts on the manual. :D

I will try and access the fork info from their website but I think it's a bit of a swizz when the manual doesn't cover hydraulic brakes! :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The GT manual wont - the brakes arent not GT brakes! There should be a seperate brake manual that you need to get hold of. This is why the bike manufacturers manual is the way it is (though I grant should be better) as often the only part the manufacturer fits of its own is... the frame. GT site will not have downloads either for other parts, try the manufacturer of said parts.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    I have a GT Avalanchce 2.

My bike came with a GT manual, a Tektro manual for the brakes and a Suntour manual for the forks
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I got the same with my Ava 1.0 and it's several years out of date! It says that your bike will either have come with 21 or 18 gears. However you should alo get manuals for all the Shimano drivetrain parts, one for the fork and one for the brakes.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I got my bike from Evans, it didn't even come with a manufacturers manual so think yourselfs lucky! :lol:
  • Scorpion
    Okay it's own up time. After I brought the bike home I just took it out of the back of my truck and put it straight into the garden shed as it was raining. When I went out for my first ride yesterday I noticed various plastic wrapped documents tied to the forks with cable ties, lo and behold they turned out the be the documents for the forks and the brakes!

Boy is my face red! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Oh well, glad you found them :wink:

Incidentally, will this be owned up to on the relevant forum for IOTW consideration???? :wink::wink::lol::wink:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Scorpion
    Panter wrote:
    Oh well, glad you found them :wink:

Incidentally, will this be owned up to on the relevant forum for IOTW consideration???? :wink::wink::lol::wink:

Cheers

Chris :)

IOTW, in my first week as well!

It's nice to feel welcome! :lol::lol::lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Scorpion wrote:
    Okay it's own up time. After I brought the bike home I just took it out of the back of my truck and put it straight into the garden shed as it was raining. When I went out for my first ride yesterday I noticed various plastic wrapped documents tied to the forks with cable ties, lo and behold they turned out the be the documents for the forks and the brakes!

Boy is my face red! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ha, got to laugh really! I'd still recommend that Zinn book though, its great.