The Cumberland Challenge

It's a good few weeks away yet I know, but have any of the Bike Radar massif entered it? Sent my form off en route to a very wet and windy ride this morning and I'm quite looking forward to it. I missed out on the Fred Whitton, so I don't fancy missing this one too!

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    yeh. I've entered this one. did it last year too. Found it quite demanding. Looking at the map Hartside stands out as the big climb, but i found the second half of the ride after the feed in Brampton much tougher. The roads feel very dead and there are some tough hills which take it out of your legs much more than the graduaL climb of Hartside. Someone gave me the advise not to go too hard during the first half of the ride and keep plenty back for the second half.. How right they were!!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I might enter this one. I met a few guys from Border City Wheelers at the Drumlanrig sportive and they were telling me it was a good event. Did you do the the 3 counties sportive Ash?
    Brian B.
  • ash68
    Hi Brian. yeh I did the scounties today. Enjoyed the ride, it was tough though, but got round ok. Think My time was about 8hrs 45 . would have settled for that before the start. IApart from the first 15 to 20 miles there seemed to be nothing but hills...It's a pity there wasn't more riders as it's well organised and a great route. But I suppose there's that many rides to choose from eh? One of the riders was saying he did the Dave lloyd mega challenge the week before. Think i'd of had my feet up relaxing today if I'd tried that ride last week. from reading the postings it looks like the mega challenge was a very hard route.How does it compare to the Fred whiton in your opinion??
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I've entered. It's my favourite of the 'friendly' sportives and goes through some of my fave countryside.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Excellent event, I've done it the last two years, definitely recommend it.
    Very well organised, lovely countryside.
    It's actually a very pleasant event, the hills are challenging but realistic - no stupid-steep climbs just put in 'because they can' and so, very enjoyable.
    Last 15 miles are flat and a real blast.
    Last two years have been wet though and it's very exposed - don't forget your waterproof !
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Have to agree with the chap who said "keep something back for the second half". Everyone seems to be aware of the climb up to Hartside but not of the continuous up downs of the second half (apart from the last 15 miles or so).

The weather is another thing. I did the first half of the route on Saturday with one of my mates who has entered for the first time and wanted to check the route out. The climb from Kirkoswald up to Hartside was into a 25mph headwind and I have not experienced anything as difficult for a long time. There was a charity CTC event on at the same time and I have never seen so many people so badly prepared for cycling in my life.

A fantastic event, however. A real challenge but thoroughly enjoyable.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    ash68 wrote:
    Hi Brian. yeh I did the scounties today. Enjoyed the ride, it was tough though, but got round ok. Think My time was about 8hrs 45 . would have settled for that before the start. IApart from the first 15 to 20 miles there seemed to be nothing but hills...It's a pity there wasn't more riders as it's well organised and a great route. But I suppose there's that many rides to choose from eh? One of the riders was saying he did the Dave lloyd mega challenge the week before. Think i'd of had my feet up relaxing today if I'd tried that ride last week. from reading the postings it looks like the mega challenge was a very hard route.How does it compare to the Fred whiton in your opinion??

Glad you enjoyed the 3 counties Ash and I may do it next year. The DLMC was a fair bit harder than the Fred and I entered this with much better fitness than when i had in May. It was just the sheer repitition of hills over the long distance and the descents were as hard as the climbs most of the time. A must for cyclists who want to try the hardest on the calender and do not get into the Fred. Saying that my legs did not ever feel as bad as they do after climbing Hardknott at 100miles .

I cannot make the C Challenge as I have a night out in Newcastle on ths Sat or so my better half tells me.
    Brian B.
  • ash68
    [quote="
    I cannot make the C Challenge as I have a night out in Newcastle on ths Sat or so my better half tells me.[/quote

Am sure you'll have a great time and with you being a Scot you're automatically an adopted Geordie anyway. Enjoy yourself.