race across america

2»

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Ive spoke to Jim on another forum and found him a very genuine guy.He's very positive minded and very helpful offering to come to schools in my area to do talks (for free may I add)
    Thanks for providing some contrast Chris, your comments offer a better picture than the film IMO. Perhaps the editing didn't bring out the positive side of the experience, but I still can't find it inspirational. I didn't see why I'd want to go through that or what I could take from it. I'm not saying doing the ride isn't an achievement, just that I didn't find much positive or inspiring by watching it.

Since I'll be accused of being negative I should come clean. I have never done anything impressive in my life. Ever. I've never even entered a Sportive! Therefore I must be an ill-educated loser and shouldn't be so bold as to express an opinion until I have climbed Everest alone in just my underpants.

I would be interested to know how Jim's RAAM rides have provided inspiration to others and would (genuinely) be pleased if they have. Even executives.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Simon E wrote:
    I would be interested to know how Jim's RAAM rides have provided inspiration to others and would (genuinely) be pleased if they have. Even executives.
    Well I did some pretty tough training on the turbo yesterday and talked myself through it by telling myself not to be a wimp - if Jim Rees can ride across America, then I can suffer an hour on the turbo. Small scale inspiration, but inspiration none the less.

Ruth
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    Well I did some pretty tough training on the turbo yesterday and talked myself through it by telling myself not to be a wimp - if Jim Rees can ride across America, then I can suffer an hour on the turbo. Small scale inspiration, but inspiration none the less.

Ruth

Ruth, if he's the best you can do for inspiration I suggest you pack in now
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    HarryB wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

Ruth

Ruth, if he's the best you can do for inspiration I suggest you pack in now
    :lol: Thanks for that very unhelpful advice HarryB. I won't be taking it. :D

Ruth
  • BalmainBoy
    BalmainBoy Posts: 14
    Very interesting reading the feedback on the programme, as I was one of the "idiots" in Jim's crew.

I don't want to defend the pros and cons of the film - I was there and I know what happened. Any documentary would struggle to capture the drama and range of feelings during an event of that nature. I think the programme does a good job of showing what Jim had to go through. Of course I am a bit biased....

All I would say is that I find the negative comments a bit surprising. Juxtapose this with the RAAM forum where it is almost completely supportive and positive regarding the event and it's competitors. Having been there I have the utmost respect for anyone who's ever been involved in RAAM in any capacity, and I take my hat off to anyone who would consider doing it in the future. It is a truly exceptional challenge for riders and crew and requires a huge commitment of time, resources and energy.

Most of all, witnessing Jim and the other solo riders push themselves well beyond what most people think is possible, for no prize money or glory, was truly inspirational. A bit mad - perhaps, but I feel honored to have been part of it.

It's easy to judge from the comfort of the sofa....

For those who want more of an insight into the race then I suggest visiting the RAAM website and buying one of Allan Larsen's DVDs which cover the ins and outs of the race. Our film was more about Jim, his personality, his beliefs and his journey.
  • gibbo12
    gibbo12 Posts: 1
    I actually thought this was a great programme. For all the naysayers on this thread, I think you have to have a certain belief in your own abilities to attempt to do something like this. Good on that man for stepping up to have a go - it's more than most people on this forum will ever do.

This clearly wasn't a programme about the race, but about this guy doing the race - I like the fact we got to meet this guy and know about him and folow him throughout the entire experience. What do you expect for a programme that was so heavily compressed into an hour slot with about 15 minutes of adverts? Yes, it is going to have to jump about a bit, but I for one think it told an inspiring story within its limited timeframe very well.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Balmain Boy and Gibbo, the reason that there have been so many negative comments are two-fold.

1. The programme wasn't very well made
    2. Jim came across as a total up-his-own-a*se tosser
  • bhm100
    bhm100 Posts: 102
    HarryB wrote:
    Balmain Boy and Gibbo, the reason that there have been so many negative comments are two-fold.

1. The programme wasn't very well made
    2. Jim came across as a total up-his-own-a*se tosser

and such language like that sir, says more about * you * than Jim, the crew or the technical merits of the progam editing itself.

would you mind telling us what your time was for the RAAM ?
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I think that Jamie Oliver comes across as a bit of mockney git on telly. Or am I not allowed to voice such things because I don't have a restaurant or do adverts for Sainsburys?

The editiing was all over the place.

It is entirely possible that Jim did come over as self indulgent, rather than inspirational, in that hour of TV. Oh noes!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    :lol:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    Daniel B wrote:
    remember watching a programme about this very race on Channel 4, something like 15 years ago - anyone else remember it?

It was 2 hours long, and followed a few individuals from both the mens and womens races, it kept cutting from one to the other at regular intervals, and giving you updates on what position they were in, and who was closing on them, and how far behind the next competitor they were etc.

It was riveting television

Genuinely nobody else remembers this program then, did I imagine it? :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BalmainBoy
    BalmainBoy Posts: 14
    Ok I'll try and answer a few more of the points raised without reverting to tit for tat...

1. The film has been cut for ad breaks etc. That's commercial TV for you. Frankly we at Team Inspiration are grateful that it's getting out there, and on a national station - that makes me quite proud. If you didn't like the film, or had different expectations of what it would be about - I'm sorry - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

2. Jim isn't an arrogant so and so or whatever else you wish to call him. What he had to be for this race was focussed, determined and single minded. That can come across as pretty hard work sometimes, but look at any successful sportsperson and you'll see the same thing.

3. Yes he looks fat toward the end because he was retaining fluids. This happens to a lot of riders in RAAM. It's one of the side effects of an extreme event like this. We had to cut his kit to accommodate.

4. Most rookies don't finish RAAM, and overall the solo race has a 40% attrition rate. It's tough! For Jim to complete this was an incredible achievement and in the end it was all about mind over matter. You don't often get the chance in life to witness that. I take a lot of great memories from the experience.

5. Jim's not a pro rider, we were not a pro crew. We had to raise our own funds to pay for it all and organise everything. They say getting to the start line is an achievement in itself.

I do encourage anyone who was fired up by the programme (positive or negative!) to find out a bit more about RAAM. It's an amazing event and there's great camaraderie, spirit and respect amongst the teams and competitors.

If you enjoyed the film - great. If you didn't - great - but please don't be so quick to judge or criticise.
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    QUESTION? Why do you ride a bike??To keep fit, to beat a mate,to race,to ride a sportive.Whatever the answer is its because you enjoy it.This guy Mr Rees wanted to test himself by riding across America.he not only did it once but twice so fair play to the guy.Whats the difference in him doing that and say someone riding from lands end to john o'groats.Whatever your goal in life is surely you must say fairplay to someone who sleeps 3 hours a day for 11 days and fullfills his goal.
    I really cant understand all this annimosity towards fellow cyclists.Would you talk to strangers in a bar (the way this guy has been slagged off on a forum) face to face,I very much doubt it.Its easy being a keyboard warrior,especially if it makes you feel hard.My grandad taught me years ago minty sweets are hard but you suck them.Some of you should be ashamed of the comments you have made.Yes have an opinion,make it constructive but why slag this guy off,you don't even know him.As what was said earlier Chapeau Mr Rees.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • bhm100
    Balmainboy - good points & well made.

I suspect part of the criticism is because people just don't appreciate the depth of the challenge.

In the UK if you go End to End in a week you'll get a pat on the back and most folks will think you're a decent rider. Jim effectively did 3 E2Es in 12 days, through desert conditions & climbing hills twice as high as anything in this country (and 3x the height of what you meet on the typical E2E)

So it needs putting in perspective - E2E in 4 days is good. Turning round and doing it twice more is amazing - it's no wonder the guy had to be focused.
  • bhm100
    Daniel B -

Nope, you didn't imagine it. Now you mention it I have vague memories of such a program as well, but it's years ago. I'd guess it's from the early 80s ?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    bhm100 wrote:
    Daniel B -

Nope, you didn't imagine it. Now you mention it I have vague memories of such a program as well, but it's years ago. I'd guess it's from the early 80s ?

Thankyou!

Racking my brains, i think the one I remember, the only one I remember seeing, was from around the late 80's, probably between 87 & 90.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18