What maintenance gear and accessories do i need ?

will_c
will_c Posts: 8
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi i'm looking at getting my new bike this weekend, i'm unsure of what else i need to buy in order to keep my bike in tip top condition, could someone point me in the right direction of what to get please.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The first few things might include -

Pump + puncture kit + spare inner tube + tyre levers/ Always carry a spare tube with you because you WILL get punctures. Learn how to change the tube as well because if you aren't familiar with what to do it can be tricky at the trail-side!

A multi-tool. These little gismos combine all manner of odds and ends like allen keys, screwdrivers, chain tools, etc. and are designed to allow you to make repairs or adjustments out in the field. For home or workshop use though, look for some quality allen keys and screw drivers to start with. The rest you can collect along the way. Believe it or not, Halfords own-brand tools are pretty good quality and excellent value for money too.

Lubricants. A good lube for your chain, gears and cables is essential but the choice is bewildering. Despite what a lot of people will tell you it is perfectly possible to use the likes of WD40 or GT85 for this purpose - I've been using them for years without any problems. KEEP SPRAY LUBE WELL AWAY FROM BRAKE DISCS AND PADS!

Cleaning/washing gear. A bucket, sponge and a stiff brush are the basics. A tin of degreaser such as Gunk is worth having to as it makes cleaning your gear train a cinch.

Get into the habit of cleaning your bike regularly. That way you'll pick up on bits that need adjusting, tightening (or loosening) or replacing in plenty of time.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • taff_94
    taff_94 Posts: 33
    Hey,

Just spent £22 on some basic requirent cleaning kit, Muc-off is great and they sell cleaners for your bike your disk brakes and pads, they also have chain cleaner etc.
    I bought a cleaning brush kit aswell for 12 pound from halfords.

Regular oiling and cleaning will ensure your bike lasts for a while.

I think most people would agree that Muc-off is brilliant stuff!

Hope that helps bud,

Taff
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Yep...Muc Off is great but it's bloody expensive.

I use Fenwicks:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Fenwi ... 360019463/

Degreaser in it's concentrated form and a better cleaner than Rip-Off when watered down.....I've made up 3 one litre bottles and I still have over half of it left.

6.99 for one litre of good stuff or 9.99 for nearly 7 litres of excellent stuff?
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I haven't used Muc-off but I do use Fenwicks and thinks its great - get the concentrated stuff and a squirt in a bucket then add a couple of litres of warm water is great for cleaning your frame etc. Used neat its a great de-greaser for cleaning your chain etc.

I even used it this morning to get some salad dressing oil out of my best jeans :D so its strong on stains, gentle on fabrics :lol: