new forks new headset??

nevets84
nevets84 Posts: 39
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I have just ordered a set of Rock Shocks relevations for my specialized hard rock. it was suggested i also replace my headset, do you think it is worth it? i dont think there is anything wrong with my existing headset, how easy are they to remove and reuse?

Comments

• rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    its well worth doing because the standard headset on the Hardrock is a very cheap, loose ball bearing unit with rudimentary seals, these don't tend to last long as soon as the wet / muck gets in there it corrodes and gets gritty

the headset is critical to the performance of your bike, but people often neglect them or don't want to spend money on them, despite it keeping your fork turning in the headtube of your frame, and all the impact stresses it goes through as your ride

if you are going to the hassle of upgrading your fork, its worth paying £20-25 for a decent, sealed bearing headset from FSA, Cane Creek, etc. and having that installed whilst your fork is done, which should not cost much more than having the fork fitted....
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nevets84
    i belive the existing headset is cane creek. Is it worth spending the extra and getting a chris king?
  • kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    I wouldn't be too sure, pretty much all headsets have cane creek written on them, because of a patent they have.

A Chris King might be going a bit OTT tbh, Yeah, It'll probably outlast the bike (and the next etc etc) but you can get perfectly good headsets for quite a bit less money.

Something like a Cane Creek S£ would probably be the best bet
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    ^^ Thats's an S3 :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Zidane
    Zidane Posts: 140
    I have just bought some new Rockshox forks for my hardrock also, never thought about getting a headset too, thanks nevets84.
  • nevets84
    no worries zidane, what forks did you go for, i plumped for the rock shocks relevations.
  • Zidane
    Zidane Posts: 140
    I went for Tora 302's mate.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If there is nothing wrong with your headset, keep it (and service it). I have had over 10000 miles out of a loose ball set.