Any good riding around Pau, French Pyrenees?

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
We are planning to move somewhere in the French Pyrenees in the next year or two where we are thinking of running a B&B, and i would love to do some mountain bike guiding. The trouble is finding a good location. We like the sound of Pau, but dose anyone know if it is a good area for biking, and what the terrain is like. Anyone ridden there before?

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    More importantly will we get discount accommodation?
  • andyturner28
    RussAlf wrote:
    More importantly will we get discount accommodation?

Of course! You guy's can be our guini pigs :wink:

There's no guarentee it'll happen yet though. We have been talking about moving over there for about 5 years now with no planning other than looking in a few estate agents every time we'r there on holiday. This week my sister and her boyfreind said they would like to do it too and are now talking about all going into buisiness togather :D It would be friggin amazing if we can pull it off, but there is a hell of a lot of research to do yet, and i have just heard that if i want to do MTB guiding there is a fair bit of training i would have to go through too.

Andy.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Good luck, if you go for it that'd be fantastic, never had the bottle myself to up and start a new, my brother holidayed in that area recently I'll see if he found anything.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Have you seen this months MBR Andy? There's an article on there about getting training to lead rides that looks quite interesting. You can do it in the UK or France. If you haven't already got it i can lend it to you on Saturday
  • andyturner28
    pittpony wrote:
    Have you seen this months MBR Andy? There's an article on there about getting training to lead rides that looks quite interesting. You can do it in the UK or France. If you haven't already got it i can lend it to you on Saturday

Thanks Nick, i got this months but didn't see that bit. I'll go have a read now :)
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    Hi. Spent a few months in the fort romeu area a couple of years ago, found some good biking (30 minute decents!). The thing about france that is great for mtbing is that there's very few right of ways as there are in the uk- effectively, if it's not fenced off, you can go there. Ergo, if in doubt find a big map, and go explore. The only thing to be aware of if you're planning to guide for profit, is that there were a lot of other companies offering the same thing at the time. Oh, and carry spares. Lots of them.
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous