how can you tell?

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
How can you tell when a road slick is worn & needs replacing?

It's not like the tread gets low is it?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• Parkey
    Parkey Posts: 303
    Just a guess, but something along the lines of "pop! hisssssssss! thud!"?
    "A recent study has found that, at the current rate of usage, the word 'sustainable' will be worn out by the year 2015"
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It'll go flat - if you look at the profile of new tyres they are "round", when they wear most of the rubber will be taken off the middle making it look flat.

How flat before you replace them? Who knows - I normally replace them when I start to get loads of punctures.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I normally replace them when I start to get loads of punctures.

+1

A few weeks back I got 3 rear punctures in 1 week... Changed the tyre and no punctures since ( touch wood )
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    If it's anything like a motorcycle tyre, the rear will flatten, but fronts don't tend to.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I replaced a rear tyre on my winter commuting bike when it went flat - as a pancake! When I went to repair the puncture I found the reason for the flatness - I'd been riding on the inner tube as the tyre was totally worn out. :oops: I managed to bodge it enough to ride the last 7 miles home. Never ride without a polythene bag to use as a gaiter.

My excuse is that I hadn't seen my bike in daylight for several weeks but I certainly got my money's worth out of that tyre :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    FSR_XC wrote:
    If it's anything like a motorcycle tyre, the rear will flatten, but fronts don't tend to.

That's because the front won't wear at any where near the same rate as the rear.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Some tyres (Conti) have wear indicators on them, usually little round dimples along the tyre surface, once you can no longer distinguish where these dimples are it's tyre changing time.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Colby99
    Colby99 Posts: 13
    I would say when the bead starts to show through then they've had it :? .

Personally I replace my tires about once a year and I do about 5K on them.
    <font color="red"><b><h6>Never eat anything bigger than your head.</font id="red"></b></h6>