Jet wash

MacbookMatt
MacbookMatt Posts: 6
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey folks, MTB newbie here...

Just been on a bit of a trek round the woods after getting my new bike and its a bit mucky to say the least!

I was just wondering, is it safe to give it a once over with the pressure washer? If so, which bits should I avoid? Its a GT Avalanche 2.0 with hydraulic disks, if that helps.

Thanks!

(Apologies if this is a re-post, I did look around but I couldn't find any answers)

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I'd avoid jetwashing altogether, better off with a squirt of "Muck-off", a standard hosepipe and a soft brush.

If you do jetwash you need to avoid the bottom bracket, hubs, suspension forks and rear suspension components (bearings etc).

Hope that helps
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Generally considered a bad idea. Most of the seals on bike bearings are not resistant to that kind of water pressure and you'll blast water into them.

Not really necessary either - a bog-standard low-pressure hose and a brush gets the muck off plenty well enough.

Oh, and welcome!
    John Stevenson
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont use a jet wash unless you are stripping and regreasing/replacing every bearing.

brush and a bucket of water.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Blimey that was quick! Cheers fellas, I'll give it a wash as soon as they apocalyptic weather subsides!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    if you can wash while the mud is still wet it comes off alot easyer......... Plus you bike will look betting sat in the garrage and it will make you want to go out for a ride more. :P
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    another vote here for the mucoff method or fenwics is good.

i to always try to wash mine while the mud is fresh and wet it a lot easier..

try using bike polish to this makes it easier to clean as the mud just slides off the frame
    pedros bike lust is good
    mucoff mirracle shine
    finese bike polish
    and finshline teflon polish all grace the shelfs of my shed....
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    :( i always use a jet wash, have i killed my bike :shock:
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    try using bike polish to this makes it easier to clean as the mud just slides off the frame

I use GT85 to polish & protect the frame
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Use one of those 5ltr Hozelock garden sprayers. Cost £15-£25. Enough pressure to blast mud off tyres, steerer tubes, front derailleur and chainrings without damaging bearings. One fill does two bikes - spray them with Muc Off or Fenwicks first. The long wand enables you to reach into every awkward corner. Handy to keep in the garage or the house and bring out after a muddy ride. Plastic handle and shoulder strap allows you to take it anywhere. Keep it in the boot of the car and spray your bikes before loading them on top or removing wheels to squeeze inside. Great water reservoir for all sorts of things. Perfect birthday pressie for the biker who's got everything!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use a bucket of soapy water (Car shampoo) a brush and a watering can!

I polish the frame with Autoglym, when I do the car
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Same here!! just a bucket of warm soapy water and a brush, then a good coat of car wax .
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Use one of those 5ltr Hozelock garden sprayers. Cost £15-£25. Enough pressure to blast mud off tyres, steerer tubes, front derailleur and chainrings without damaging bearings. One fill does two bikes - spray them with Muc Off or Fenwicks first. The long wand enables you to reach into every awkward corner. Handy to keep in the garage or the house and bring out after a muddy ride. Plastic handle and shoulder strap allows you to take it anywhere. Keep it in the boot of the car and spray your bikes before loading them on top or removing wheels to squeeze inside. Great water reservoir for all sorts of things. Perfect birthday pressie for the biker who's got everything!

Did wounder about these myself i know that you can get a Dirtworker but didnt know if a garden one would have enough pressure to take the muck off ????

Anybody else used these or low pressure washers?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Dirtworker does a great job according to a friend who has one. But the Hozelock pressure will surprise you. Never once have we needed a brush or a cloth to scrape off caked-in mud. Halfords also does a 5ltr Hozelock for washing the car, comes with a smaller wand and is more expensive that most online suppliers. Check out the full range before deciding. There are various versions. If it's strong enough to clean a car it will remove the cack from bikes.

http://www.cselinks.com/shopping-empori ... 4377&c=495
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Woodywmb wrote:

Another vote for the garden pressure sprayer. I picked mine up from my local 'cheapie' homeware store for £4.99 and after initially being the subject of my mate's jokes they've all got one now!!!!! :lol: You'll get envious looks from those at your preferred trail centre when you're washed off and enjoying a warm brew and they're still queuing for the bike wash...... :lol:
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.