bianchi C2C 928 carbon vs Cannondale synapse carbon

ed29
ed29 Posts: 37
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
Just after a few pluses and minuses on these bikes.

I'm testing them both but unfortunately they arent at the same shop, and i can only test them on different days :-(

anyone got opinions on these? Which one would be considered the most responsive, and which one the most comfortable (ie less racy position). Both will have 105 groupsets. Not too clued up on modern bikes despite lots of internet reseach, so also wondered about general build reputation and build quality. Seems they are both pretty good bikes though from the reviews i have read. I like long rides and also enjoy hills and passes. Most of my riding will be in the lakes.

thanks

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I know this isn't going to be very helpful, and I havn't ridden either of them but the Bianchi looks oh so sexier
  • ed29
    yeah thats my thought as well! If i dont get any replies and the rides are similar then the Bianchi it is :-)
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    In reality, I don't think you will get any definitive replies as it is unlikely that anyone will have ridden both bikes for long enough to offer any subjective comments :wink::wink:

Mostly what you will get will be unsubstantiated opinions.

Here is mine......

When I was looking around earlier this year, both these were on my shortlist and I posted a similar question.
    I quite liked the Cannondale, and had seen one in a shop - but it was unfortunately on my travels 200 miles from home. The spec for the money was good, it looked nice and I read some pretty good reviews.
    The problem came when I tried to find a dealer to organise a test ride within 50 miles of where I lived - there wasn't one. There was a branch of Leisure Lakes that stocked them, but they were so unhelpful and clueless that I dicounted them, so in the end I never actually rode the Cannondale.

In the end I went for the Bianchi 928 C2C with 105 (converted to triple - shock horror :shock: ). I also test rode the Spesh Roubaix and Trek Madone 4.5. To be honest, there wasn't a huge difference between them, but the Bianchi did feel more "immediately" comfortable - particularly as when I rode it I forgot my padded shorts :roll:
    The LBS where I got it were also the most helpful and accomodating.
    Had it now for about 3 months and I have to say I am really pleased with it. Not done any really long rides on it yet - only up to about 3 hours - but it is comfortable. It is well specced, looks nice and gets lots of compliments.
    I would definitely recommend one :D:D

Hope this helps.
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    What Gary Says.

I tested a comperable Spesh, Giant and Trek, before my Bianchi.
    Obviously all were good, but I found the Bianchi to be comfortable, responsive, and looks the mutts.
    Lets face it if your heart and head agree you are going to want to ride it more, keep it clean, etc.

Just 1 thing, Italian bike, Italian goupset.
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I had a synapse and loved it - only sold it to build a full sus mtb, and I've just sold that to build my new road bike!

I didn't try anything else but bought it because I saw it silly cheap at Scotby Cycles and just ordered it online! I never regretted it though - it was comfy, fast, light (with a few upgrades my came in at 18lbs with pedals, and that was still on the Askium wheels!) and great looking. It now belongs to 'Mog' on here.

Is it full 105 or does it come with the Si cranks? If it comes with the Si cranks I'd definitely go for that over the Bianchi, but otherwise there's not much between them.

My only other comment would be to check the wheels you're getting.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Just 1 thing, Italian bike, Italian goupset.

Aye Veloce on the C2C, would be my preference over anything with Shimano on.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I It now belongs to 'Mog' on here.

Yup, great bike, I can't fault it. It's comfy enough for Sunday club runs/sportives, and was also good enough for some decent timetrial results before my TT bike arrived. Only major change/upgrade has been the wheels to a set of Zondas....
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    I'm a Cannondaler through and through but given the choice of these two I'd go for the Bianchi. It's a lovely looking frame and has a bit more of a wow factor.
    Every winner has scars.
  • ed29
    the one i'm looking at / testing is 105 groupset. Is there much difference between 105 and veloce? I prefer the colour (celeste) of the veloce equipped one. Is each groupset only availablein one colour - all the 105 ones seem to be carbon / white and the campag ones seem to be carbon / celeste.

Also can i fit a triple easily to a veloce one?
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    ed29 wrote:
    the one i'm looking at / testing is 105 groupset. Is there much difference between 105 and veloce? I prefer the colour (celeste) of the veloce equipped one. Is each groupset only availablein one colour - all the 105 ones seem to be carbon / white and the campag ones seem to be carbon / celeste.

Also can i fit a triple easily to a veloce one?
    Probably because they don't want to be seen to be promoting their 'proper' coloured bike on a Shimano group - Bianchi celeste + Campag is the 'proper' Bianchi route IMO 8)

Why not go for a compact rather than a triple? Would look much better! :P
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    I have had a Cannondale carbon Synapse 105 compact since May last year and find it to be a great bike.

I've no experience of the Bianchi - i did want to try one at the time by my experience at my local Bianchi dealer was frankly appalling, not that they were even giving trials anyway.

My friend had an older Cannondale CAAD5 105 which although alu framed seemed amazingly comfortable so when i saw a good deal on the Synapse at Scotby cycles i bought over the net. I swapped the stem for a shorter one but apart from that no changes. The wheels are Aksiums which have been very reliable and the 105 is also reliable. I also think the bike looks good as well.

Personally, i doubt there would be that much between the bikes but can assure you the Cannondale is excellent for long rides/short rides/any rides. Perhaps you might want to consider a triple if you are cycling in the lakes? The compact hasn't failed me on the hills yet but from what i hear on this forum some of the lake climbs are brutal. I'm not sure if the Cannondale has a triple option.
  • ed29
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Probably because they don't want to be seen to be promoting their 'proper' coloured bike on a Shimano group - Bianchi celeste + Campag is the 'proper' Bianchi route IMO 8)

Why not go for a compact rather than a triple? Would look much better! :P

I'm moving to the lakes and i worry i'll struggle on the really steep passes (hardknott / newlands / honister) on a double. I've also had a bit of knee trouble in the past from an ice climbing injury so dont want to stress it too much on steep stuff. I reckon its worth having the extra ring just in case, and if i dont need it its only a tiny bit of extra weight. If i get a triple when i buy the bike its ony 50 quid more fitted as the shop will just sell the unused compact stuff. If i change later on might cost ?200-300 :-(

I'm mainly a mountain biker so not as used to pushing higher gears. I'll try the compact tonight though and see what its like. My old road bike had a 52/42 on so a compact will be a definate improvement!

Testing the 105 tonight...i hope i like it. I sort of want the celeste colour (although not seen the white yet) but i dont know if shop will be too happy if i test the 105 they are building up for me today and then i say i want a veloce! (and still got my triple dilemma with veloce!) Damn why is it so complicated!!
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    White bikes are very trendy at the mo.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Gary D
    [/quote]

Why not go for a compact rather than a triple? Would look much better! :P[/quote]

Incorrect I'm afraid :)

Mine is Carbon/Celeste and it is 105. My LBS did the swap to a triple chainset and it cost about £50 extra. In my opinion, it was money well spent. If you want a triple then go for it - ignore the anti brigade :wink::wink:
    Incidentally, in the brochures and on the website they list triple versions of 105 and Ultegra but they are not available to the UK even to order.

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Gary D wrote:

What's incorrect? Triples do look wank on "race" bikes.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Gary D wrote:

in your opinion
    exercise.png
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    IMHO I also think triples look complete wank on race bikes.

I was having an interesting discussion in the bike shop the other day while we were discussing what casette to put on my new (Reynolds Assault) wheels. As I do a lot of hilly rides and tough sportives and I'm going to the Alps in August I wanted a 27 but Campag jumps from a 26 to 29. I ended up going foor a 26 because I think a 29 will look stupid on those wheels. I'll just have to get fitter and stronger which is one f the reasons I go oout on my bike.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I think a Pinarello Prince with Reynolds Assualts on and a 29 on the bback would scream 'old bloke with more money than ability'. This may very well be true but I don't want everyone knowing it.

That's why I also think a triple on a race bike is just plain wrong.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    double post
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As you don't know what you are going to be up against in the Lakes, go for a triple - you can always change it later if it becomes too embarrassing!! :roll: At least you'll stand a chance of not over stressing your knee before you build up some strength.

As for the Campag V Shimano debate you should have a ride on a bike with both - the bike doesn't matter, it's just to experience briefly the different mechanisms. When I changed bikes I moved from Veloce to Dura-ace and, whilst the new one works faultlessly, I still much prefer the logic/ action of the Campag levers.

Peter
  • Gary D
    Gary D wrote:

Actually, the comment I made was relating to the availability of Celeste on Shimano equipped bikes - not about the triple question.

However, I would also advocate a triple if you think you need or want it.

Gary.