Cyclocross?

oldholborn
oldholborn Posts: 114
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I have been looking for my first mountainbike.
Just decided on the Scott Scale.
The bike will be used for tracks speed is important would I be better with a cyclocross bike?
Could I convert a tourer or would i be better going ahead and purchasing the Scott Scale?

Comments

• batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    A cyclocross would be faster

No you don't want to convert a tourer

Yes you'd be better off buying the Scott

What silly questions on a mountainbike forum, tut tut! :lol::lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How much skill do you have? How big are the rocks?!

Average rider over average terrain = MTB.
  • oldholborn
    oldholborn Posts: 114
    Sorry Batch. :lol:
    This is Northamptonshire so no mountains and few rocks.
    Used to ride the tracks as a kid then progressed to racing bikes.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    A mountain bike would be stronger and more forgiving than a Cyclocross bike .Depends on the terrain you ride I suppose.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I would say any rocky bigger than fists = MTB
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Ah, the circle of life has bringith you back to where you began.

In all honesty if your riding towpathesque, hardpack, fire road kinda stuff a cyclocross might be a good choice, I was pushing hard at about 15mph recently when two guys flew past me on them, very disheartening!!

Just bare in mind though it will limit your offroading, walking certain sections may be unavoidable, who knows what global warmings done to your local trails. :twisted:
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I love riding my cyclocross bike, its seriously quick and my preferred bike for riding in wet and muddy weather

its actually much quicker than my MTB over the same terrain, except for the steepest downhill runs where i have to hang back a little

in the mud the thinner, knobbly tires (Maxxis Locust) cut through the mud and if it gets way too bad I can shoulder it (only 20lb to carry) and run like a madman

on canel paths, fireroads, singletracks and tarmac it blows any MTB away ;)
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    First time I took mine down a track, I got scared. I was so flippin fast - 20mph without really thinking about it.