GT Road bike for £500

mivecboy
mivecboy Posts: 34
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I have a 2005 GT Zascar Race which i love and am looking for a new road bike. Mountain biking is my first love but I'd like a new road bike.

Are there any good GT road bikes around this price range ? I havent bought a bike for a few years, are the series 3,4,5 any good etc as Evans have some on sale at the mo.

Any advice would be good. Or should I go for Scott S60....

thanks, Phil

Comments

• carlstone
    carlstone Posts: 602
    Y5415B_BIG.jpg

This one looks great value for £599 Ultegra equipped bike (when you say £500 to spend we all know you really mean £700 ;-)), but only small frames left

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70245
  • mivecboy
    When I say £500 spend i really mean £500 and below lol
    My GT Zascar Race was originally £1250 and I got it in the sale at Halfords for £600.
    My offroad bike will probably get used more so i need to be able to justify this purchase.

I am about 5' 10" and my GT frame size is medium. I wont be out racing with clubs, more like doing 30 miles at a time at a comfortable speed...
  • mivecboy
    Went to Evans Cycles tonight. Been seduced by the Trek 1.5. Very very tempted now
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    the kit on that GT is rather tempting, and i might fit the 50cm frame.

anyone able to comment on quality / reputation of GT at all?

thanks
  • mivecboy
    I really wanted a GT but the Evans Cycles people said no.

I am stuck between Giant SCR2 £490, Spesh Allez Sport £499 and Trek 1.5 £599

The only one i can get to ride locally is the Trek but not in the right size.
  • ris
    at least evans have scr's, my lbs don't expect to see any until the new range appears in august / sept. i'm hoping to find one to try out for size and ride quality in bristol this weekend.

what did evan's have against you walking away with a GT?
  • mivecboy
    They said that GT are just putting those bikes in the market to fill a gap in their range. I have a fantastic Zascar Race which i love. I have seen some other bad reviews of the GT road bikes.

I am really torn between those 3 i have listed. Popularity on here seems to be Giant SCR 2 first. I am still torn with the lovely clean looks of the Trek and the lightweight wheels.

BUT groupset and shifters dont seem as good as the others.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Hmmm, I can't see how a manufacturer filling gaps in their range is a bad thing, and I think GT only had about five models in 2007 anyway. This bike had caught my eye as being good value at RRP and when I saw it in the flesh I thought the frame quality was exceptional, the smooth welds really are smooth. Can't remember if the its just the rear mech that's Ultegra though.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • mivecboy
    Test driving a Giant SCR 2 tomorrow :-)
    I have found somewhere 40 miles away that will match discount from another dealer, plus they have one in my size.
    I had another look at the Trek 1.5 today and still love it but the Giant has better groupset plus is £110 cheaper..
  • mivecboy
    Job done. Picked her up today for £490. Only been for a quick 4 or 5 mile ride but so comfy. From being a MTB rider to this, you can tell the difference in road surface but she's so smooth. Very pleased so far. Went for a 50cm frame. I am 5'10" but with short legs so 55.5cm was too big.

IMG_1952.jpg
  • ris
    looks nice mivecboy, i think i'm on a 50 frame as well.

i managed to get a look over a medium scr2.0 yesterday. with any luck i shall find time to get a test run out on it this week.

i keep wondering about the gt series3 though, and can't help but be tempted. the same shop i looked over the giant suggested the gt ranges are pretty good, decent frames, generally good kit (if a little diverse, not complete groupsets). shame i can't find much in the way of reviews or comments.
  • mivecboy
    SCR 2 all the way. Bikes looks nicer than the GT, groupset is generally better for the money. You wont go wrong with an SCR 2. They are highly regarded on here.

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/SCR_2.0.aspx

The shop i bought mine from matched the 10 percent off and i got mine for £490.50. Was more than i thought I'd spend but the tiagra shifters swung it for me. Dont bother with Sora in my opinion.
    I am a massive fan of GT mountain bikes but have been warned away from GT road bikes.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I wonder why GT got rid of their unique "triple triangle" design?

GTPIC_018.jpg