Heart or Head

simac
simac Posts: 8
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
I am going to buy my first road bike through the cycle to work scheme. My LBS has two possibles as I don't want to buy of the internet.

1. Specialized Allez Sport 08 - £700 down to £600
2 Bianchi Campagnolo Exnon - £595

Heart says Bianchi as it looks really good, head says otherwise as more expensive bike for same money.

:shock:

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I'd go for the Allez.

Xenon is rather flimsy...
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sadly - xenon is rather flimsy - i'd probably go for the allez too

you need to try them both for fit really though
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I did exactly the same thing.

How can you choose between a Bianchi and a Spesh?

In the end I went with the head. Haven't regreted it. It's a great bike & I love it.

I was out riding with a group a few weeks back though. One of the guys had a Bianchi. Not good . . . . . I felt like I was checking out a fit woman while I was holding the other half's hand!

At least I'm still faithful
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • simac
    I was afraid the head would win.

Typical of good looking Italians....

it just the colour......
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    I had same dilema either that Bianchi or Trek 1.5. (600)

The bianchi in celest colour is still the best looking bike i've ever seen. but i went for the Trek 1.5 Double as preferred the components. I absolutely love it BUT, i will own a bianchi in celest one day, i saw a more expensive one about £1200 which I may go for next year.

From what i've read, go for the allez...
  • moorehen
    moorehen Posts: 95
    A vote for the Bianchi from me. I had a similair dilema when I bought it last week but my heart won and I'm pleased it did. Sometimes I just go out to garage just to look at it!!! :oops:

Sad I know but I don't think a Spesh ot a Trek would have the same effect and for me the joy of ownership is part of the whole experience of owning a roadbike.
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    i have celeste c2c...
    i agree totally,the colour,the style,the look is amazing...i still stand and look at her
    ....components can be changed,but you'll always want one

i've had 5 bikes and always wanted Bianchi celeste...no matter what i had or changed i still wanted one

i've had better bikes to ride,but no where near as smooth looking,heads turn a treat!
    trek/spesh etc...no heart in them...go with with the italian dream
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go for the Spesh.

Bianchi is a nice brand, but they are only the Italian Raleigh, they aren't the same class as Colnago, Pinarello or De Rosa. I like Campag, but I wouldn't want Xenon - I'd much rather the Tiagra, however swap the Xenon shifters for Veloce shifters and the bike would be upgraded massively.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Components are the key at this price range IMO.
    Specialized sounds like the better bet.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Allez, I've got one and really love it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Go for the Bianchi and look out for a set of cheap Veloce or Centaur Shifters for £40 or so and upgrade...
  • simac
    Thanks.

All very balanced. Have changed my mind several times....

The Heart wins, its going to be the Italian Stallion. :lol:
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Good move.
  • moorehen
    moorehen Posts: 95
    simac wrote:
    Thanks.

All very balanced. Have changed my mind several times....

The Heart wins, its going to be the Italian Stallion. :lol:

Good choice, you won't regret it. Make sure you put some pics up when you get it.
  • RedAende
    RedAende Posts: 158
    I went for the heart and bought Virone Xenon.

Incidentally, despite driving a convertible sportscar ( mid life thing) i've never had any comments from the young ladies, but I've had a fair few comment on how beautiful my bike looks, "bianchi, whats that? is it italian, they are so stylish" etc....etc......

though I am not happy with the plastic gear shifters and first upgrade will be for Veloce shifters.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Bianchi is a nice brand, but they are only the Italian Raleigh, they aren't the same class as Colnago, Pinarello or De Rosa.

Or putting it another way, if Spesh and Trek are like Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra, Bianchi is like a Fiat Bravo.
    Not an Alfa Romeo, still less a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati