bags for looong xc rides.

tomxc
tomxc Posts: 139
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
i'm thinking of getting a camelbak mule, just wondered what everyone elses opinions are and also if you use a bag or just bottles??? :D
up, up, up, down, up, up, down, up, dowwwn...yep sounds good to me :)
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt6/ ... MG0201.jpg

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I use a bag, also the Mule which has a 3ltr bladder and lots of space for carrying tubes etc
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    have a look at the wingnut hyper 3.0.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -pack-9581

its not cheep and worth every penny
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Tom - Recently got a Mule (in green) and reckon it's superb.

Very comfy (I forget it's on), adjustable and exandable. If you fill the bladder (3 litres) completely, space is tighter but it's more than enough for tool kit, spare tube, shock pump, tyre pump, a waterproof and some sarnies + energy bars/flapjacks.

Also think the Camelback bladders are way ahead of all the others - just freeze in between rides to keep it muck and rot free.

The Wingnut seems to be "the" thing at the moment but I think it sits too low (for me) and doesn't look as well put together. Anyone very "V" shaped might struggle too.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I bought a CamelBak CloudWalker which is for walking - hence the name!

It was about £25 cheaper than the mule, came with a 3 litre bladder and can carry about 9 litres of gear...enough for phone, wallet, tools, food, clothing. I've used it on a week long trek in Spain and then another one in Iceland so I know it's more than upto the job.

Get the Mule if you can afford it. I'd just shelled out for a holiday and a new bike so was a bit skint at the time and this did the business!

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    I bought a Camelbak Mule two days ago and after my first outing with it yesterday i must say how on earth did i ever live without it?! It has plenty of little pockets for your wallet and keys plus a waterproof zip compartment for your phone or MP3 player. My olny grip is that the main compartment isnt that big when the bladder is full. However i'd rather carry 3Ltrs of water on a long ride than surplus items.

Its quite amazing how much better you feel if you just keep sipping the water throughout the ride. Normally after 3 Hours of off-road riding the fatigue starts to kick in but after using the camelbak i felt as though i wanted to go on for much longer. The problem with dehydration is that you dont notice it until you are dehydrated so the trick is to drink regulary even if you feel your not thirsty. I will certanly not venture out without the camelbak again!
  • tomxc
    wow...i must say ive never seen such posotive opinions.hehe
    thanks for your thoughts
    P.S. i ordered a mule yesterday...cant wait :lol:
  • tomxc
    SiLanc wrote:
    I bought a CamelBak CloudWalker which is for walking - hence the name!

It was about £25 cheaper than the mule, came with a 3 litre bladder and can carry about 9 litres of gear...enough for phone, wallet, tools, food, clothing. I've used it on a week long trek in Spain and then another one in Iceland so I know it's more than upto the job.

Get the Mule if you can afford it. I'd just shelled out for a holiday and a new bike so was a bit skint at the time and this did the business!

Si

sounds funn...was it??? :D
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Yeah the trip to Spain was awesome, the trails, weather, culture and company were bang on. The trip to Iceland was a different kettle of fish, ti was more of a 'training' trip I guess as although the scenery was stunning, the locals were really friendly and the culture was very different, the trails were very dull and with the weather being wet and windy (we knew this before we set off) it was more of a test of endurance than technical skills. If you want something different and not technical, go to Iceland and hopefully you'll also see the midnight sun and the Northern lights...if you want big climbs, fast technical descents, good weather go to Spain and the Sierra Nevada.

Although you can no longer ride it due to erosion the 65km descent from Pradollano to Granada will live with me forever :)

You can read all about it on my blog\photos website...click on the holidays menu tab and there is a link there. I ain't got round to finishing the Iceland story, maybe this weekend...if I don't go out on the bike ;-)

http://www.xcenduro.co.uk

Cheers,

Si
    ps, the CamelBak is still going strong after two years of daily abuse, zips are a bit worn but it's all good.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Yep another one here for the MULE, used it this week for a couple of rides in the Peaks, have to say a quality bit of kit. I found even with a full 3lt bladder there was still enough room for a days riding kit eg. spare tube, multi tool, 2 small bananas and an apple :D couple of snack bars,pump, OS map, phone, puncture kit etc etc highly recommended
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • tomxc
    ...i got mine yesterday and went for a ride today...must say its pretty good...my dad sed it was a mule but its a cheap copy...but it still has 3ltr bladder and bags of room its very comfy aswell.thanks again for your opinions. :D
  • Notnormal
    Notnormal Posts: 132
    If anyone's looking for something that can cope with an overnighter (bivi bag and camping kit etc) then I can recommend the Osprey Talon back packs. Come in 11L 22L 33L or 44L and have space for a bladder. Best backpack I've found for cycling, keeps it tight to your back and comfy. I have the 33L and fit in tent sleeping bag, thermarest etc with usual riding stuff with ease.
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Riding my bike without a camelbak MULE feels like driving my car without a seatbelt! Wrong!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • Ridg
    Ridg Posts: 98
    i find all the Camelbak bags are really poor when it comes to internal storage, as the bladders take up so much room, saying that my ventoux is the shiz, if you're after something with enough room for an overnight stay eg sleeping bag / bivi / food / cooker i'd recomend the karrimor hydr8 35, as the name suggests its a 35l day sack, whilst its aimed for walkers its really comfortable on the bike too, you only get a 2L bladder, but you can just swap it for a bigger one if you like.
  • jezcc
    jezcc Posts: 111
    I have a Deuter Race X pack. it's better than my old camelbak was, sits on my back more nicely and has more space.
    FCN 4-6 depending

2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX
    2008 Ribble
  • Camelbak are good but as someone said - the water takes up a lot of room; take that out and you've got a nice fitting bag to put stuff in!
    Kona Kula