Jarred my thumb - lump on wrist ??

*Pez*
*Pez* Posts: 112
Anyone ever experienced a lump on the wrist? It's on the underside and take a line immediately down from the thumb.

I jarred my thumb last evening (poor grip on the bars hitting a drop) and felt a bit of pain, but still had movement.

I carried on and completed the ride.

Today, movement is slightly painful and a small lump has appeared on my wrist.
The lump is hard. Could this be a bit of bone poking out, or am I being a bit dramatic??

How many bones are there in your wrist?

As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that it may be one for the doc.....

Comments

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Get off down to the doc's or A&E and get it checked out.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I hyperextended my thumb joint a couple of years ago when I lost grip, my right thumb joint ached for months and the joint is still a lot bigger than the other one. It looks swollen, but is solid.

But that's my thumb joint, not the wrist.
  • I had a very similar thing last year. I jarred my wrist when i bailed and a few days later a small (3-5mm) lump apeared on the side of my wrist. I went to the docs and he said it was a ganglean (not sure it is spelt like that), it is were joint fluid leeks after a bad jar and sits in a pocket of fluid actually connected to the joint (although it felt like bone). He said it is nothing to worry about and it will go down, in the olden days he would burst it using a bible, but health and saftey doesn't allow him to do this anymore. A bible because; it is big and heavy, and also in the ancient times it was thought they were the start of horns growing.

But all in all it went down about 2-3 months later. and there was no problems at all.

Still rekon you should get it checked out tho.
  • *Pez*
    *Pez* Posts: 112
    Thanks Guys.

Sounds like the same problem as Rev.

I'll take a trip to the Docs and hope he doesn't have a bible handy!! That may well be considered cutting-edge medicine down here in Devon.

I've just finished the Test Valley enduro at Andover. Got very wet and very very lost!!
    Wrist held up well, but aching now so def need a trip to the local GP.

I might try and google 'Ganglean' - see what comes up.

Thanks again.
    Pez.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Sounds like a traumatic ganglion. There not really anything to worry aabout but can be chopped off if they give you any grief....

Probably worth letting your GP have a proper look though.

(Eight bones in your wrist, you'd know if it was one of them sticking out!)
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath