Shimano PD M520 SPD pedal - good beginner SPD?

DevUK
DevUK Posts: 299
edited July 2008 in Road beginners
As the title says, I'm considering SPDs for my hybrid commuter bike (Trek 7.5FX). These seem to get ok reviews from people from the few sites I've read but wondered if anyone had used these and could give feedback.

Also, any other recommendations? Looking for "cheap and cheerful" and beginner friendly :)

TIA.
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

Comments

• Dev, I think they're as good as any for the money - I've heard of them going for £15, including a set of cleats. I've had some for 3 or 4 years and they've been fine - probably time for an upgrade now but I can't complain about not getting value for money.
  • DevUK
    Thanks for that :) I've seen them on eBay £17 inc postage and cleats. I'm new to SPDs in general. What shoes will work with these? Just "SPD" shoes? (sorry, really unsure when it comes to pedals and shoe combinations).

Cheers,

Steve.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Thats what I've got on mine, paid even less than £15 as I found some ina Bargain bin at halfrauds :D
  • Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    DevUK wrote:
    As the title says, I'm considering SPDs for my hybrid commuter bike (Trek 7.5FX). These seem to get ok reviews from people from the few sites I've read but wondered if anyone had used these and could give feedback.

Also, any other recommendations? Looking for "cheap and cheerful" and beginner friendly :)

Not so keen on them myself - the cleats had a tendency to pull out when climbing out of the saddle, despite adjustment, causing a couple of bad wobbles and several aborted hills. If you're not doing anything severe on them and you're a beginner then they should be fine as they're easy to get in and out of, but I got a pair of Time ATAC ROCs, which I'm much happier with.

Phekdra
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    ive had them on my trek pilot 1.0 with shimano mt 20 shoes for 18months had no problems at all with them the cleats are recessed on the shoes so i can walk ok in them.
  • I've got them on my Focus Cayo. I like them. No problems. I like to be able to walk around without wearing my cleats out or falling on my a***e.
  • i love them. i came from road pedals to these for commuting and i think they are ace. if your getting accidental clip outs then tighten the tension, iv never accidentally pulled out, even on hills.

you need mtb shoes for them rather than road shoes, the massive bonus is u can walk around on them without slipping everywhere!
  • McHattie
    McHattie Posts: 146
    They get my vote, yes. Nice and easy to clip in and out of, and I've not had a single incidence of accidental clipping out in four years.

If your budget will stretch to them, the PD-M540's are even better - a bit lighter, neater, and easier to change if you're switching between pedals.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Superb beginner pedals at the price!!! You won't get better without spending a fair bit more, and then it would be the PD-M540's.
  • DevUK
    Thanks for all the comments guys :) I'm going to try out a few shoes at my LBS in the next few weeks and consider getting some next pay day! (Trying to afford an iPhone 2.0 this month :D )
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I think I got my pair off eBay for £12.50 - very happy with them they do the job just fine.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • M4TTA
    M4TTA Posts: 5
    I got these the other week, my first time in SPD's and i am really enjoying them. Best thing i've bought since buying a bike. I put mine quite loose to begin with while i learnt how to use them and have tightened them up as i get more confident. Merlincycles do them for 17.50 including delivery.

Got myself a pair of Specialized BG shoes too and i am over the moon with the pair of upgrades, do it!!! you won't be dissapointed :)
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    I'm looking at getting some of the SPD M520s or M540s as I took delivery of my new bike yesterday :D

As someone who is going to be new to clipless, will I notice any difference between the 520s and the 540s - i.e is the extra £10 worth it or should I just go for the 520s?
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I give them my vote. I have road pedals for the summer / sportive bike, but have retained the 520 SPD's on the commuter / winter hack. Much easier to clip in in a rush (as in traffic) and the performance is fine. The ability to use a recessed shoe is also good - I have used a pair of cheap shimanos for some years now - summer and winter.
  • sem69
    sem69 Posts: 106
    I have the M520 pedals with the Shimano M075 SPD shoes. £15 for the pedals and £40 for the shoes. My first SPDs and I can't fault them, especially for the price.
  • biggstevie
    biggstevie Posts: 112
    Ive just bought a new pair of Shimano M075 £35 from CycleExpress placed the order sunday night tuesday morning there was a little red card in the door from the postman.Picked them up after work today. Get home to find another red card in the door i guess it my new gloves from wiggle back down the post office again 2moz :x
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    M520's were my first clipless pedal too. Initially on my first road bike they're now on my MTB and are still running perfectly well after about 2 years of abuse.

I like Shimano's SPD's. They convinced me to spend a bit more on the M540s - now on my Allez - and, when I ordered my shiny new carbon bling machine, rather than buy into a whole new pedal/shoe setup, I just bought myself a set of M970 XTR's.
  • DevUK
    Good to know people really do like them :) They are definately on the shopping list for sometime in the next few months :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5